Just remodeled pool. Concerned about wet spots

stroopfx

Mar 9, 2024
Los Angeles
We just had our pool remodeled and are waiting for the water to fill up now. We woke up this morning and noticed some wet spots near the top of the pool. Should we be worried?

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 19
Can’t really tell much just my looking at that close up photo. Please show a wider shot of the area around the spot including what’s behind the coping?

What was replaced - plaster? Tile? Coping? All?

Did they skim coat the new plaster or did they do a full chip out of the old plaster?

What was the condition of the gunite shell? What was the condition of the top bond beam?

Did they apply any waterproofing layers to the bond beam behind the tile and coping?

Can’t really tell much just my looking at that close up photo. Please show a wider shot of the area around the spot including what’s behind the coping?

What was replaced - plaster? Tile? Coping? All?

Did they skim coat the new plaster or did they do a full chip out of the old plaster?

What was the condition of the gunite shell? What was the condition of the top bond beam?

Did they apply any waterproofing layers to the bond beam behind the tile and coping?
Hi, Thanks for all Quick response and all the questions. I'll try to answer them...

We just had the pool remodeled. This included removing the old coping and chip out of the old Plaster, replacing with new coping and mini pebble for the finish.

The gunnite shell looked good. I did see rebar at the corners where they squared off the pool, but I thought they did a good job there. I don't see any moisture from the corners... yet.

I'm not sure what a top bond beam is or if they applied any waterproofing layers behind it and the coping. How do I check for that?

THanks

The bond beam is the top of the pool shell. It’s typically build wider than the pool wall thickness - you can think of it like the top of the pool having a ring around it. It’s built this way so that coping can be easily applied to it. Your pool wall looks like this -

1710027104874.png

The bond beam is the top of the wall.

Waterline tile and coping should be installed on the bond beam with a water barrier layer under them. The concrete shell is not water proof and so and moisture can wick through it and then leak out like you are seeing.

There’s no way to know just looking at it. You would have had to see it during the remodeling process.

At this point, if it causes a staining issue, your remodeling contractor should be responsible for fixing it. You should work with them on this issue.