Need to shut down pump for a few days. What steps can I take to prepare?

DrHfuhruhurr

Feb 22, 2022
Porter, Texas
Hi all, we are 2.5-year old pool owners who upgraded/remodeled our pool about 1.5 years ago. It is an in-ground, approx. 14k gallon SWG pool with pebble sheen plaster and an attached spa. There are a variety of pictures in the Media tab on my profile. The coping for the pool is some kind of flagstone, as is the “weeping wall” water feature on the back side of the pool. Areas of the coping are starting to wear away due to contact with the water, so we are having all of the coping and the water feature professionally cleaned, hardened, and sealed in a couple of days. To get the job done, we will need to lower the water level so that the full water feature can be treated. This will likely leave the water level too low to run the pump, and also the sealant needs a few days to fully cure (during which time it cannot get wet). For that reason, we will need to shut down circulation for the pool for 3 days, and I am concerned about water balance during that period.

What should I do to minimize the impact of having no circulation (or chlorine generation) for 3 days? The weather will be hot and in the mid-to-upper 90s during the day, 70s at night. I was thinking of super-chlorinating the night before to get chlorine up around 10ppm and hitting it with acid morning-of to get the pH down to 7.2 or so. Surely 3 days with no circulation will be okay at those levels? Or no? Any tips or advice is extremely welcome, thanks!

With a submersible pump you can run the hose to the opposite side of the pool and that will be plenty of circulation. Test/add/brush as usual.

Or just test, add and brush extra well with no pump.

You can certainly overdose but the higher you go the quicker it burns off and gets counter productive at some point. It's safe to go to 60% of your CYA (mustard algae SLAM level), and let it drift down. That's a reasonable level to try and squeeze a few days from it.

Don't worry about your pH. Just get the pH around 7.4-7.6.

What is your CYA?

Raise your FC to SLAM FC level which would be 40% or your CYA level.

That will probably hold you for 3 days. To be sure you can pour 5PPM of liquid chlorine into the water daily and stir it in with your pool brush.

I would float a tarp over the water to capture as much debris as possible from the coping work. You especially have to watch out for sealers getting spilled into the pool.

Don't worry about your pH. Just get the pH around 7.4-7.6.

What is your CYA?

Raise your FC to SLAM FC level which would be 40% or your CYA level.

That will probably hold you for 3 days. To be sure you can pour 5PPM of liquid chlorine into the water daily and stir it in with your pool brush.

I would float a tarp over the water to capture as much debris as possible from the coping work. You especially have to watch out for sealers getting spilled into the pool.
CYA is somewhere between 40-50. I have a real tough time reading the Taylor test kit for CYA. Thanks for the advice!

CYA is somewhere between 40-50. I have a real tough time reading the Taylor test kit for CYA. Thanks for the advice!
Bring your FC up to 16. That should hold you for a few days. Although I would test the FC every day or two and add liquid chlorine if it drops below 5.

Thanks to both of you for the wonderful advice! I brought it to 7.4pH and 12ppm FC. I would have gone higher on the FC, but ran out of time before this morning. I bought some liquid chlorine to pour in over the next few days as needed.

Quick additional question: Draining the pool for treatment left 4-5 inches of pebble sheen exposed. Is there a risk of cracking or other damage with it being exposed for a few days? I recall the startup instructions were very strict about leaving it dry, but I’m hoping all of that is in the past now that it’s been in operation for over a year.

Quick additional question: Draining the pool for treatment left 4-5 inches of pebble sheen exposed. Is there a risk of cracking or other damage with it being exposed for a few days? I recall the startup instructions were very strict about leaving it dry, but I’m hoping all of that is in the past now that it’s been in operation for over a year.

A few days of some exposed plaster should not create problems.

If you have a chance to run a hose over the exposed palster and hydrate it ocne in a while it can't hurt and may help.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.