Just installed our pool trying to figure out what order to add things

Stylez78

Apr 16, 2023
Long Island, NY
Hi all so new pool owner here, finally got the 15,000 gallons filled up and the pump is now running.

I know the levels I need to keep things at but I was curious since it is new fresh water from the tap what would be my first steps in what to add? Should I test the water first to find out the PH alkalinity (I assume cya and fc should be 0 being new tap water).

Do I add stabilizer first and then after I get to my 30-40 range then add my liquid chlorine? Is there a time between I should wait before adding one after the other? If I had to buy stabilizer, what is worth buying? Most places seem to be charging $30-$45 for a 4lb bag

Since I do need some CYA instead of adding liquid or powder stabilizer, could I use up the last of my dreaded chlorine tabs form last year? Maybe add like 2 3" tablets to the skimmer basket? That would add some CYA and help chlorinate the pool right now and once I hit the level I need ditch them and use Liquid chlorine? (Hate for something to go to waste if it could have a temporary use).

Appreciate the help as I don't want to wait too long before adding chemicals, don't want algae to take hold.

5 ppm FC per PoolMath, stat.

Google search pool stabilizer (cyanuric acid / CYA). Home Depot and Walmart have fluctuated with supply and price. Local pool stores will have it also. As long as the bag says 100% on the ingredients, it's good. Next time, Amazon has good deals on purtiech brand, but you need it asap so get some today.

Add per poolmath 0 to 30, if you're sure none was added in any form. Get it hanging in a sock (s), carrot on a stick like, in front of a working return. It will squeeze out later.

Maintain the 5ppm FC the best you can until the CYA is dissolved/mixed. The sun will eat the FC quickly without CYA.

Which test kit are you using ?

5 ppm FC per PoolMath, stat.

Google search pool stabilizer (cyanuric acid / CYA). Home Depot and Walmart have fluctuated with supply and price. Local pool stores will have it also. As long as the bag says 100% on the ingredients, it's good. Next time, Amazon has good deals on purtiech brand, but you need it asap so get some today.

Add per poolmath 0 to 30, if you're sure none was added in any form. Get it hanging in a sock (s), carrot on a stick like, in front of a working return. It will squeeze out later.

Maintain the 5ppm FC the best you can until the CYA is dissolved/mixed. The sun will eat the FC quickly without CYA.

Which test kit are you using ?
I ordered a Taylor K-1004 test kit but it was delayed in shipping. I have those pool test strips the 7-in-1 kind which pretty much shows 0 CYA 0 FC ph looks to be in range. I am going to take the water sample over to my local pool store and let them test it today just to be sure.

So I add the CYA to an old sock, hang it in the pool in front of the jet and let it disolve. I would assume I have to do this multiple times as according to pool math to go from 0-30 I need about 5lbs of powder stabilizer. How long does it take for this stuff to dissolve in?

The 5PPM FC, should I treat it like a shock treatment? pour it in slowly tonight when the sun goes down in front of the jet and let the pool pump run (I have a 2hp 2 speed pump, I pretty much am going to let it run 24/7 on the low setting). My pump at low speed is rated Maximum Flow Rate of 63 gallons per minute or 30,240 gallons in 8 hours on Low speed and I have a 15,000 gallon pool, so it should filter well I assume.

I ordered a Taylor K-1004 test kit but it was delayed in shipping. I have those pool test strips the 7-in-1 kind which pretty much shows 0 CYA 0 FC ph looks to be in range. I am going to take the water sample over to my local pool store and let them test it today just to be sure.
7bc2b33e-4254-4208-9a5d-b3399ca43ecd_text.gif

(Sorry, couldn't resist :ROFLMAO: )

The k1004 is a good start, but it's missing the CYA test, the Calcium test, and the K1515 fas/dpd chlorine test. Your choice if you want to add the missing Taylor components to it, or return it and get a TFpro from tftestkits.net or a K2006c that has everything you need. The TFpro also comes with a $48 stirring device that's the bees knees. Trust me you want one. Here's the test kit deets. Test Kits Compared
So I add the CYA to an old sock, hang it in the pool in front of the jet and let it disolve
Yup. Don't touch the wall. It's acid.
would assume I have to do this multiple times as according to pool math to go from 0-30 I need about 5lbs of powder stabilizer.
Or multiple socks. It will start squeezing out an hour or so later. I let mine soak for a full day and it squeezes out quick.

You will absolutely need a reliable CYA test. It's the cornerstone of the FC/CYA Levels that will keep you algae free, and even more importantly, sanitary. Algae while unsightly, is harmless. Swimmer to swimmer transmissions and whatever other bacteria, viruses, pathogens, etc will flourish with improper sanitation.
The 5PPM FC, should I treat it like a shock treatment?
Add the liquid chlorine now. Slow and steady at a return (pencil sized stream) and brush the floor well after. It's heavier than water and may puddle up on the bottom.
so it should filter well I assume
The pump circulates the water to keep the chemicals mixed, the filter removes particles out of the water. (Dust, debris, pollen, etc) You are responsible for the chemistry, which has zero to do with the filter or pump (besides the mixing part)

I know this seems like alot, but you'll do GREAT. We'll help every step of the way. :)

Reactions: Stylez78
View attachment 489790

(Sorry, couldn't resist :ROFLMAO: )

The k1004 is a good start, but it's missing the CYA test, the Calcium test, and the K1515 fas/dpd chlorine test. Your choice if you want to add the missing Taylor components to it, or return it and get a TFpro from tftestkits.net or a K2006c that has everything you need. The TFpro also comes with a $48 stirring device that's the bees knees. Trust me you want one. Here's the test kit deets. Test Kits Compared

Yup. Don't touch the wall. It's acid.

Or multiple socks. It will start squeezing out an hour or so later. I let mine soak for a full day and it squeezes out quick.

You will absolutely need a reliable CYA test. It's the cornerstone of the FC/CYA Levels that will keep you algae free, and even more importantly, sanitary. Algae while unsightly, is harmless. Swimmer to swimmer transmissions and whatever other bacteria, viruses, pathogens, etc will flourish with improper sanitation.

Add the liquid chlorine now. Slow and steady at a return (pencil sized stream) and brush the floor well after. It's heavier than water and may puddle up on the bottom.

The pump circulates the water to keep the chemicals mixed, the filter removes particles out of the water. (Dust, debris, pollen, etc) You are responsible for the chemistry, which has zero to do with the filter or pump (besides the mixing part)

I know this seems like alot, but you'll do GREAT. We'll help every step of the way. :)
Awesome thank you! I canceled the kit, since they never even shipped it yet! I'll get the one you recommend.

I just added the liquid chlorine now and I'll head out to the store to grab the stabilizer, but before I do that, I do have about 30 1inch tablets of the 99% Trichlor tablets form last year (says 90% usable chlorine) any chance I can use those up to raise the CYA since I have them already?

I canceled the kit, since they never even shipped it yet! I'll get the one you recommend.
SWEET. Check the bottom of the page and you'll see that over a third of a million folks came here before you. The overwhelming majority of them were from test strips and pool store tests. Use their collective wisdom to your benefit. :)
I do have about 30 1inch tablets of the 99% Trichlor tablets form last year (says 90% usable chlorine) any chance I can use those up to raise the CYA since I have them already?
You can, but they are sloooooooow and you don't want to fall behind the 8 ball. They last darn near forever when stored dry/cool. Keep them for top offs or vacations.

SWEET. Check the bottom of the page and you'll see that over a third of a million folks came here before you. The overwhelming majority of them were from test strips and pool store tests. Use their collective wisdom to your benefit. :)

You can, but they are sloooooooow and you don't want to fall behind the 8 ball. They last darn near forever when stored dry/cool. Keep them for top offs or vacations.
Thank you! I'll save the tabs for when I go on Vacation or something and use them in a floater to keep things going while I am away.

This sort of goes sideways a bit but I do want to get a SWG but I was going to pass on it this season and the cost $1200-$1700 depending on models just wasn't in the cards right now. When I went to the local pool store tonight to get my LC, they had a "sale" on their SWG system, I never heard of it and doing a bit of googling I can't find it listed or mentioned anywhere. It is called Salt Ways SWG system and either comes up to 25k gallons or up to 40k gallons. It said it came with a titanium cell and it was either $399 or $499. There has to be a catch or this thing has to have something not right for that cheap compared to others that are 3x the cost but I am really tempted.

25k gallons or up to 40k gallons. It said it came with a titanium cell and it was either $399 or $499
Welp. At 1/3 the cost, it only has to last 1/3 as long, or produce 1/3 as much for as long as the name brands do.

So there is that.

Some have reported successful generic SWG stories, but others have not had good stories so it's a crud shoot.

We recommend you go with 2X or larger your pool volume. A 1X unit needs to run 24/7 to produce enough chlorine. A 2X can run 12 hours, a 3X for 8 hours and so on.

How big is your pool ? Which pump do you have because a single speed pump on Long Island requires a 2nd job just to pay PSEG ?

Take a minute and fill out your Signature. Add the relevent pool details, finish, size, features and equipment model #s. It really helps us to not have to ask questions about your questions. :)

Last edited:
Welp. At 1/3 the cost, it only has to last 1/3 as long, or produce 1/3 as much for as long as the name brands do.

So there is that.

Some have reported successful generic SWG stories, but others have not had good stories so it's a crud shoot.

We recommend you go with 2X or larger your pool volume. A 1X unit needs to run 24/7 to produce enough chlorine. A 2X can run 12 hours, a 3X for 8 hours and so on.

How big is your pool ? Which pump do you have because a single speed pump on Long Island requires a 2nd job just to pay PSEG ?

Take a minute and fill out your Signature. Add the relevent pool details, finish, size, features and equipment model #s. It really helps us to not have to ask questions about your questions. :)
Yeah Island rec def has a huge bad rap but lot of it was for installation problems. As for the quality of their equipment, probably all generic stuff like you said, but a great point being 1/3 the price if it works but say you only get few years prob worth the cost but again it is a Crud shoot.
I probably will just wait and get a good quality one next year and just live with manually adding chemical this year...It build character I suppose. lol

My pump is dual speed, it isn't terrible on the electric and I have Solar Panels and produce more than I use so it works out for me.

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah Island rec def has a huge bad rap but lot of it was for installation problems. As for the quality of their equipment, probably all generic stuff like you said, but a great point being 1/3 the price if it works but say you only get few years prob worth the cost but again it is a Crud shoot.
I probably will just wait and get a good quality one next year and just live with manually adding chemical this year...It build character I suppose. lol

My pump is dual speed, it isn't terrible on the electric and I have Solar Panels and produce more than I use so it works out for me.
Doing it manual for a year will certainly give you appreciation for it when you get one lol I did manual for over 5 years so I love mine to pieces quirks and all.

I hate to start another thread but if I ended up getting one of those nice Circcupool SWG systems or the like, do I have to have everything PVC'd in my system? Is there anyway to hook it up with hoses? (or maybe the sell a special system that uses that) Eventually I'd probably just PVC the system but didn't want to take on that undertaking this year.

I hate to start another thread but if I ended up getting one of those nice Circcupool SWG systems or the like, do I have to have everything PVC'd in my system? Is there anyway to hook it up with hoses? (or maybe the sell a special system that uses that) Eventually I'd probably just PVC the system but didn't want to take on that undertaking this year.
The circupool is hard plumbed with PVC and pretty easy to do. I did it myself 😁😁

If you're going to convert the SWG PVC fittings to flex pipe at either end, you might as just extend both sides with PVC to the next fitting. You can replumb only that leg for the same effort needed to convert a portion of it.

Once you're already there cutting and gluing, it'd be quick and relatively cheap to do it all.

If you're going to convert the SWG PVC fittings to flex pipe at either end, you might as just extend both sides with PVC to the next fitting. You can replumb only that leg for the same effort needed to convert a portion of it.

Once you're already there cutting and gluing, it'd be quick and relatively cheap to do it all.
Yeah my initial plan was just to do status quo for this year, keep it basic, Pool came with hoses etc and I figure end of year when I winterize the pool all the hoses come off, pump goes inside and cover the filter. Now that I am considering the SWG system has me thinking about the all that is involved and I know most I see are used with PVC plumbing.

Waiting a year gives me time to research how to do it, what fittings unions etc watch Youtube video and finish the 7 other incomplete projects I already have going on!

Reactions: newdude
Buy a 10ft piece of 1 inch PVC and a handful of Ts (3 practice spots each) for cheap. After 15 rodeos you'll be a pro. It's super easy stuff and the worst that happens is you drip purple primer on the pipes and your hands.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.