Just Bought A House With A Pool...Where to Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to try the CYA thing again while I wait. I'm still getting 80 off the pool and when I use the control that came with my kit, I'm getting 40 when it's supposed to be 50, so obviously I'm doing something wrong here.

Can somebody please detail to me how I'm supposed to do this test? Don't leave anything else. Describe in great detail everything from how many fingers to hold the tube with, where on my body I'm supposed to hold it, where and how I'm supposed to stand...leave no detail out.

Ok.. here we go
CYA TEST
Fill dispensing bottle to 7ML mark with pool water.. (Little plastic bottle witha flip top cap)
Fill to 14ml mark with R-0013
shake bottle for 30 seconds
Hold comparator at waist level with 2 fingers, back to the sun shading the tube
SLowly teansfer mixed solution to samll comparator tube until black dot just disappers when viewed from the top.
As soon as it disappears, that is you level. IF you can still faintly see the dot, keep going until its gone
IF the dot disappears between lines, you reading will be the next highest. (disappears at 35, your CYA will be 40)

With the amt of stabilizer you added, it would have put you at CYA 33 if your start level was 0. Even if you started at 30, you shouldnt be above 60

If you are still getting mixed readings, pour the tested solution back into the bottle and do it again.. you can keep doing this test over and over with the same sample

Hope this works

Pour the 50 standard test to 50 in the tube. Hold the tube with your pointer and thumb at the top of the tube. Do the test different ways and areas until you cannot see the dot at a GLANCE! If you stare you will end up seeing it. It must be a GLANCE.

When you find where/how you get a reading of 50 then that is where and how you test your pool water. Simple really. I will say that, like everything in life, some people have better eye sight so...........might that upset the apple cart some?? That is why I say YOU find a way to make the 50 solution read 50 for you.

Also, did we ever remeasure diameter of pool, I am wondering if it is 24 not 25, also depth of water line when ready to add CYA not depth to top of liner. I am thinking the pool was not at zero when reported and it is probably not at 80 right now. But I would undershoot this time unless sure of measurements, but I am probably not telling cj3737 anything new, he seems to be really on top of this. I like kimkats Idea of how to refine your testing of CYA to be more accurate. Also, is the 50 ppm reference solution standard in testkit now or still an option. It really helped me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just put 21' round by 4 ' into pool math for volume new volume 10400 gals, so that explains part of the 80 CYA reading. The reference or 50 ppm for CYA test did that come as part of the basic kit or did you add that as an add on. Last year when I ordered it it did not come with basic kit, and just want to be sure you have the reference CYA solution and something else. Looking for any possible mistake so you have success this time and as quick as possible.

I did that. That part sunk, but the hose is still floating.

Pool is 21 feet across by 4 feet deep.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get it. Where do I put this plate? Do I remove the filter? It doesn't stay down it just floats up.
Work the hose down into the water from the vacuum end until all of it has water in it.. then put the plate over the filter basket and turn on the pump. The suction will keep it in place. Leave the basket in..you don't want any big stuff going thru your pump impeller

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Make sure the vacuum plate is completely under water. If you can post a photo of how you set up the vacuum that will help.

Yes you should empty the skimmer basket as it fills with debris. Also if you find you are getting a lot of leaves and sticks check for clogs in the vacuum if you notice water flow reducing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.