Jul 26, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi -

I have a Jandy 2.5HP dual speed pump that has finally bitten the dust after 9 years of use. Replacing with a similar Jandy product seems to be an ordeal (multiple services telling me they can find a 2HP at best and another that accepted my order and then "special ordered" it from Jandy... now telling me 8-12 week lead time. That's not going to work as freezing temps at night are on the horizon. I've never replaced a pump before and far from an expert at pool equipment. Do I need a Jandy product or is any pump going to be compatible, just potentially with a bit more installation work? If anything will be compatible, is there a pump on the market that is considered best-of-breed or at least best value for cost?

Separate, somewhat related question... I see lots on the web about pump priming. I have never done or had to do that with my existing pump. I just turn it on at the control panel, or via scheduler, and it starts up. What determines whether a pump needs to be primed or not?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Tom

You may want to go to a variable speed pump. You have a SWCG so you could benefit of having a very low speed to always activate the SWCG then use different speeds for cleaner and or water features. This would require purchasing a complete pump and not just a motor. You mention a control panel. Is that an automation systems or just a manual switch for setting pump schedule, lights. Etc. ?

Please forgive what may be poor terminology on my part. All the pool equipment is controlled by a control panel near the equipment. It consists of a few circuit breakers, a button that sets the panel into "auto", "service", or "time out" mode, and a button for each component of the system (pump, low speed, cleaner, spa mode, heater, etc.). When it's in "auto" mode, it is controlled by a Jandy hand held remote that looks like it is from 1980, but has the ability to turn on/off any of the system components, or to schedule them via a menu. When the control panel is in "service" mode, the handheld remote is locked out, and all functionality is controlled by the buttons on the control panel. I believe "timeout" mode is like "service mode" that automatically switches back to "auto" after a fixed amount of time. I never use it though, so could be off on that. Let me know if you need more detail.

Thanks for the feedback. You have an AquaLink automation system and it controlled by a PDA (Pool digital Assistant).
There were 2 versions of a PDA, one was black/dark blue and other is white.

Depending on the version of your software it may or may not control a VS pump. When your PDA boots up there are some version numbers - snap a picture of that. There may be a menu item for version as well. It has been a long time since I used a PDA.

BTW, when you move to Timeout mode, the system will return to Auto after 3 hrs. I have seen that used mainly by pool service companies that may add chemicals and want to ensure the pump stays on after they depart then will go back to Auto mode.

It's the dark blue PDA. Firmware version = PDA: 7.0, J-BOX: 4.0, Handheld: 3.0. Thanks for the info on Timeout Mode!
Thanks. Go to the System Setup on the PDA. Scroll down to determine if you have an option called Var Speed Pump.
You may see other options such as Assign JVAs, Color Lights, etc. This would determine if your current board (PCB) is capable of programming a VS pump.

Yup, Var Speed Pump is an option under the system setup. Is there any particular brand/model that seems to be the option of choice? BTW - Pool Supply Unlimited has now cancelled my order that was supposed to take 8-12 weeks for a new 2-speed Jandy 2.5hp pump. They said Jandy has decided to discontinue the model. I'm guessing everything is moving to variable speed now over two speed.

Yup, Var Speed Pump is an option under the system setup. Is there any particular brand/model that seems to be the option of choice? BTW - Pool Supply Unlimited has now cancelled my order that was supposed to take 8-12 weeks for a new 2-speed Jandy 2.5hp pump. They said Jandy has decided to discontinue the model. I'm guessing everything is moving to variable speed now over two speed.
Any Jandy ePump will work and only the Pentair IntelliFlo VS, VSF or IntelliFlo3 VS, VSF will communicate with Jandy automation. This is what I am away of and I have the IntelliFlo VSF. There is a specific way for the RS485 wire to connect to allow proper communication but just follow the instructions or post back here if you need help.
Please review this article for many topics on Jandy Automation

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.