Coachella Valley, Calif
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I've seen old threads on this topic but was wondering if anyone has more current information.
I recently installed an early model Levolor that had been sitting around for several years. The sensor and cable looked new at the time, but the sensor seems to have failed after just a few months. I disconnected the sensor wires at the box and the sensor light correctly came on. I assume the sensor has shorted inside.

From past threads, it appears these sensors are subject to failure and the only solution is to install a new one with attached cable. I was hoping to avoid pulling cable through a conduit again, but Jandy tech support said that part# S2044 (sensor w/o cable) is not available.
The attached picture shows a small separation has developed around the cable. The sensor is velcro'd to the wall tile, not in the skimmer.

Do you know if Jandy has improved the design? A picture on Amazon refers to 'Style2' half-moon and shows a small sleeve on the cable as it enters the sensor. Mine does not have that sleeve and I'm wondering if that is how moisture may have entered the sensor and shorted it.

Has anyone found an alternate / less costly solution for a bad sensor? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Attachments

• levolorSensor.jpeg
    levolorSensor.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 11
  • sensorStyle2.jpeg
    sensorStyle2.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 12
I confirmed that the system works when I disconnect the sensor wires. The sensor light comes on and after 20 seconds the fill valve opens. Joining the two orange wires shuts off the fill valve.
However, I did not expect to find an open circuit when I put a multimeter on the sensor cable red & black wires, since the disconnected orange wires (open circuit) lights the sensor light. When I shorted the red and black wires and put the multimeter across the probes, the resistance bounced all over the place before settling on open circuit. Does anyone know how to test the sensor with a multimeter?

A simple continuity test would do. When the sensor is out of the water you should get no continuity. You could also jumper the prongs to test continuity. I’ve seen sensors made using wire, bolts and nuts as the prongs and pvc coupler as a spacer.

A simple continuity test would do. When the sensor is out of the water you should get no continuity. You could also jumper the prongs to test continuity. I’ve seen sensors made using wire, bolts and nuts as the prongs and pvc coupler as a spacer.
that's what I thought, but it doesn't seem that way.
Measuring resistance on red & black sensor wires (disconnected from controller):
probes out of water - open circuit measured at controller
probes in water - open circuit measured at controller
probes out of water, jumpered - reading 2.4 at controller
red / black wires jumpered at controller, measured across probes out of water. Reading fluctuated. Maybe this confirms that sensor is bad.

So it seems that the only steady resistance is when the probes are jumpered, which also indicates there is no break in the cable. But I don't understand why the open circuit is not triggering the controller. Clearly when the orange wires are disconnected, this open circuit triggers the system correctly.

I've ordered a new sensor cable and will test it before fishing it through the conduit.

I agree, very strange. This morning, with the probes on the deck, the sensor light and fill valve came on. I touched the probes to the water and it switched off. All good I thought. However when I repositioned the probes on to the tile, and tried again - nothing! With the sensor back on the deck, I throughly dried the sensor with a hairdryer, and it worked. Left it a few hours in the sun, and it worked again. Reinstalled on the tile and it switched off correctly when the water level reached the probes. :)

I think that maybe moisture is penetrating the sensor and creating an intermittent short, or the cable is bad. We have had some rain the last few days. I'll see how it goes for the next few days. Probably will keep the sensor on order as a spare.

Thank you @Poolbreh for your assistance and advice.

Reactions: Poolbreh