Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi all,

Can someone provide advice on which iAquaLink kit I to use to upgrade to get WiFi control and programming on my tablet/phone/computer, please? I have read several threads on here and see some conflicting information. Programming my schedules, run times, etc. is a time-consuming process on the PDA and it's a fairly clunky process. It works, but would much prefer a modern interface for control and programming.

I have a pool only, no spa, which was built in Spring of 2021 so my equipment should be fairly up-to-date. Here is what I currently have:

From the equipment pick list sheet, I have the PDAP4SWC which is listed as PDA-P4 Bundle kit with SWC. All my equipment is Jandy; VS pump, filter, heater, booster pump, valve actuator (for my bubbler), salt cell, lights.

When I power on my PDA remote this is shown:
Model: PDA-P4 Only
Firmware: PDA 7.2
J-BOX: 5.4
Handheld 5.5

I can not tell if I need iQ20-A or iQ20-RS (or iQ30-A/iQ30-RS for version 3) for my requirements. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

jandy-pda.jpg

jandy-box_door.jpg

jandy_box.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

You need the IQ30-RS which will convert your Aqualink from a PDA version to an RS8 unit and have the iAqualink antenna. An IQ20-RS could do but has the older wireless antenna that does not work with some mesh routers.

Thank you both. I thought I needed the iQ20/30-RS but was not 100% sure. However, after reading the above "Jandy Aqualink RS - Further Reading" I have another conflict/point of confusion. I have Jandy Pro series equipment, there is a line in that document that states "The AquaPalm works with an AquaLink RS System ONLY, software revision “M” or later". Since my current remote is model # R0687300 this confirms, to me anyway, I am reading the above correct. Pic of my current receiver below.

This would indicated to me I already have an RS board, no? And should use the iQ20/30-A kit only? I understand you do not want to the A kit if you don't have an RS board since it only adds control with no programming and is a pretty much worthless upgrade. I am certainly not doubting anyone, just want to ensure I purchase the right kit and don't overspend if not necessary.

jandy_receiver.jpg

Your PDA screen says "PDA-P4". This means it is a PDA Aqualink and not an RS. Once you switch to an RS your PDA will come up and not say that anymore.

Thank you! Seems I will have to spend extra to get the RS version, which is fine, would rather order the right kit upfront. Next question, v2 vs v3 any differences besides v3 is suppose to connect to WiFi more reliably? I have ethernet already next to the pool equipment (did this prior to pool build when the builder talked me out of iAqualink, said it was overpriced, did not work without tinkering with your router, PDA was more reliable, if I really wanted it was $2500 more, etc.) so I would likely not even use WiFi. I know v2 has an ethernet port, does v3 and do I gain anything else?

No, V3 is just an WIFI and antenna upgrade . If you are going to hardwire the system then either will do.

Note that WIFI air gaps your outdoor system from your house network. Folks with hardwired outdoor units have had lightning outside take out pool equipment and indoor equipment.

Reactions: Aspec
Thank you! Seems I will have to spend extra to get the RS version, which is fine, would rather order the right kit upfront. Next question, v2 vs v3 any differences besides v3 is suppose to connect to WiFi more reliably? I have ethernet already next to the pool equipment (did this prior to pool build when the builder talked me out of iAqualink, said it was overpriced, did not work without tinkering with your router, PDA was more reliable, if I really wanted it was $2500 more, etc.) so I would likely not even use WiFi. I know v2 has an ethernet port, does v3 and do I gain anything else?

With the RS version you get a new system board along with the antenna that you will have to install/have installed. You will replace the below same as I did and totally reprogram everything.

1646321690192.png

Thank you everyone for the quick replies and helpful information, much appreciated. Jandy sure thinks alot of this little PCB and antenna for the price (~$1000) but still better than the $2500 the PB wanted. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you everyone for the quick replies and helpful information, much appreciated. Jandy sure thinks alot of this little PCB and antenna for the price (~$1000) but still better than the $2500 the PB wanted. :)

FYI: You can sell that PDA and antenna once your upgrade is completed. You will never use it again. With the RS system you can use the phone app or web interface. Used PDAs go for $500 on eBay.

Next question for you experts :)

I found an RS CPU board, part R0466806 for a good price. What revision do I need to make sure it has so I can then add the iQ-30-A? I know this seems like a longer way to upgrade but pricing the RS kit upgrade vs the CPU and iQ30-A separately saves about $400.

Since I have pool only now/PDA-4 the R0466806 is the RS-4 equivalent from what I gather.

If you have the 50-pin board, then changing the PDA chip out for a new RS chip (R0466806) will work. The iQ30 (or20) is just a means of communicating with the board (user interface) and will work with most newer systems.

If you do not have the newer 50-pin board you will have to get an iAqualink upgrade kit. The only way to tell is to look on the back of your existing circuit board.

Next question for you experts :)

I found an RS CPU board, part R0466806 for a good price. What revision do I need to make sure it has so I can then add the iQ-30-A?
You need REV R or later for internet control of Jandy Aqualink system via smartphone or web.

You can go larger than ps4. I'd go 6 or 8. This will give you extra capacity to control things like low voltage lighting and extra valves if you want.

Thank you everyone. Wonder when Jandy creates a paywall with the RS cpu. Buy any RS cpu now and then pay extra for additional outputs if/when needed without swapping your current board. :)

Thank you everyone. Wonder when Jandy creates a paywall with the RS cpu. Buy any RS cpu now and then pay extra for additional outputs if/when needed without swapping your current board. :)

The state of pool automation is remarkably out of date. This is because there has always been an insulating layer between the maker and the consumer, the pool builder. This keeps the industry archaic and outdated. The consumer loses.

The state of pool automation is remarkably out of date.
I wholeheartedly agree. It's very confusing to say the least and you're spot on, the consumer is losing here. In this day and age all manufactures should be ashamed of these PDA/proprietary remote control pool systems, anyone that can afford to build an in-ground pool has a smartphone!

I wholeheartedly agree. It's very confusing to say the least and you're spot on, the consumer is losing here. In this day and age all manufactures should be ashamed of these PDA/proprietary remote control pool systems, anyone that can afford to build an in-ground pool has a smartphone!

Every pool equipment manufacturer sells automation with app based controls. It is the Pool Builders stuck in the last century who recommend non-app based control systems. If they are popular with the pool builders and consumers accept them manufacturers will continue selling them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.