Its time... Pool resurface and deck updates

Okay... Call me crazy, but the plaster just flew off.... This was a small (too small) bit on an air hammer... My guess is with a 3"or 4" spade bit would make the work go easy for the most part. Still not fully ready to take that leap...

This is a chip-out around the CareTaker... Its about an inch to the gunite... Little bit made fast-fast work of this area....
9b9f9269.jpg

[click image to view] And then this is a poor video of the limited work on the wall - I only wanted to see how hard/firm the plaster was...

I would just request a chip and re-plaster at this point. You are the paying customer, so they should have no problem following your request (and I'm sure it's gonna need it!)! FWIW, on the jobs that I see when I am bidding plaster, the price is based on the perimeter of the pool and the depth. No matter what the method of prep, the price is the same. Honest answer is that it is (here) more to abrade, bondkote and re-plaster than chip and re-plaster, and it takes longer. We let the pool dictate what needs to be done, as long as we can warrant it when it is done. It is better for the pool to get abraded and "bondkoted" though, as it does not remove structure (gunite) like a chip out does.

Put the new pool cleaner line in the middle of the pool. Half the hose in the pool that way. No reason not to!

Thanks for the feedback! I will be placing the new return line in the center :rant: - time to make that happen..!

I'm not too excited to chip this myself if it wouldn't save much money. I guess my thought was to show / ask the boards to confirm it does need to go. Interesting to me that the deep end is failing spots at all depths - while the shallow end or 65% has no signs of fail. My plans are to move forward with the CareTaker removal. Having trouble finding Red-E-Crete in my area - Any other filler that I can use hydraulic Cement or other?

Pretty much any sack mix you can get at the home improvement should work. It doesn't have to be any particular brand. You're just filling the hole before plaster, so not a big deal.

Today I put in a few more hrs to the pool.... Over the weekend, I hope to have the CareTakers complete along with the FULL new return plumbing.

-I was gonna rent a super-drill w/ core bit, but the rental was gonna be a hassle for one hole. So I called on my trusty 1/2 drive hammer drill and did the classic prison-break cut. I went very slow as to not bust/crack the crete. It would have been better to rent the core bit, but I just didnt want to stop and return it within 4hrs and waste a whole evening on a rental.
924698ff.jpg

b0b37c88.jpg

68965c25.jpg

-I also ran the new source line (1.5") under the deck... that was fun :hammer: !!! 30' later it done. Now I need to connect the pipes and back-fill with crete.

This is a video [Click Image to Watch]. The plaster in so thin and MANY places I can brush it off with my hands.

Back at it for another hour today.... Same old stuff...
-CareTakers on the steps. Bust the PVC down 4"-5", fill with base w/rock, and crete. I've got 6 prep'd and have another 6-8 to go.
89594394.jpg

Do not attempt to adjust your screeen - that shade of green is accurate!!
-This is a wider shot of the new return hole for the Polaris.
3bf38d26.jpg

3bf38d26-1.jpg

Sat is a big day!! Finish the plumbing and fill all CareTakers AND Gonna rent some tools!!! :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Melt In The Sun said:
Looks like things are moving along nicely. Did you drill that "prison break" hole by leaning over the edge, or standing in that lovely water? :shock: Neither option sounds good to me...

Thanks guys!! I'm trying to keep it going.... :-D

I did a little of both :cry: ... Not fun to say the least... My wife said 'ummm.... are you sure that water is okay..?' I did drill the pilot hole from the deck and the rest were drilled from the swamp. I stopped the filter when I started dropping trash into the water. This pic is 24 hrs later/greener, but you can see where I stood - my footing swept the pool floor. The pool is now drained and I'm eager to give the pool a half day of work.

I was pumped to rent a Concrete Grinder for the deck to clean-up the Kool-deck and rough plaster/mortar from the coping removal, but a few hours later, I think I hold off on that rental and stay focused on the inside of the pool for saturday.

Total of 15 CareTaker heads :shock:

Okay... Need some feedback(please)... Am I doing this right? I have mixed-feelings about this...
- on Sat I rented a rotary hammer and chipped a pretty good start on the steps and swim-out... The plaster was over 1' thick.
- on Sunday, I tried a few things... I test a few spots with the wall, bought an entry-level rotary hammer and bit. So this is what I got done in a few hours today. :shock: The corners have 1" thick plaster and are rounded - do I chip away ALL of that down to the gunite? Also, As you can see in these pics, some plaster remains on the gunite in the main areas I've worked.... Is this acceptable or do i need to 'grind' down to the crete 100%..? If thats the case, do I use a 7" grinder with diamond cup or other method?

I want to finish this - hate to pullout now, just not getting the accomplishment vibe I hoped at this point... Thanks for your feedback!!!
8d130a60.jpg

d2ec22cb.jpg

1c44a0c3.jpg

Today is a new day - didn't do any work today.... Pool guy called and offered a 10Yr warranty on Diamondbrite with new tile for $6700. The sooner I get this blue stuff to go away - the SOONER I can move forward... I have a new method I plan to try on Wednesday... I've gotten distracted with the chipout - what tools to use(not all rotary hammers are the same RPM :hammer: ), then to rent or buy, and then put other things on hold while I sort the plaster stuff out in my head. In my head: :rant: Do the walls, no do the floor, no the steps are not done, back to the walls, then the floor and so on... All this mixed-up junk in my head combined with the tool shuffle hasn't been very productive.

I sure hope my report on Wednesday evening is positive!! :goodjob:

Wednesday came and went.... I've tried a few different types of tools and methods. Today was a breakthrough = great results...!!! Thanks to Home Depot and Harbor Freight - my first HF purchase...

I'll have the entire floor, steps, and swimout complete on Sunday and will post pics of course...

Now I need a surefire method for the walls... Lucky for me (perhaps) the walls are mostly shot/flaking, but still, this is all new to me and I didnt have plans to take this one on... I was over my head before I knew it!!

Have a great night!! :cheers:

Heckpools said:
Looking forward to pics. Im not a concrete pool guy, so to see how these types of things are done is very cool to me. Nice work

Thanks!!! I've gotta run.... My Cowgirl and Scarecrow are ready to T-O-T..!! I'll add my comments this evening... Here are the latest....

Looking for feedback in the 'rough' gunite - do I need to smooth it down. This is NOT complete... I'd like to think I'm 90% done on the floor...
4a382a44.jpg

a54d05f2.jpg

Chipping looks great :goodjob: :goodjob: Rough is better than smooth, so don't make it smooth! As long as what you have at this point is bonded well to the shell you look to be in good shape.

I'm going T-O-T as a grumpy old swimming pool guy this year. No, wait, that's what I am every day :cool: I hope the kids had fun!!

Ha...!!! That is too funny!!! The kiddies had a blast the slept well...!!

If time permits this evening I plan to complete the steps. And then its on to the wall... The walls are odd - I have a 3" spade on a small hand-held air hammer that may just do the trick. Stay-tuned!! I'm close to purchasing the Cupped Concrete Grinding Wheel for my 7" grinder. I think it would eat up the wall plaster in a hurry :lol: .
Some of the plaster is falling off - other parts you cant get to let go no matter what...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.