Issues with stabilizing chemicals

cwozniak

May 9, 2023
Houston, TX
Hi all,

I am having issues getting my numbers under control and I am wondering if possibly it's due to heat and evaporation in Houston right now. I am adding water every other day to keep the level high enough. My alkalinity is always 130-150 no matter how much dry acid I put in. PH tends to be in the 7.4-7.8 range. FC is low, but that I am not surprised about due to the heat and sun here.

Any advice?

Thanks!

I am wondering if possibly it's due to heat and evaporation in Houston right now.
Afraid not. I've been experiencing the same heat wave as everyone in this region with a pool that is totally exposed to the sun from dawn to dusk. If you are having suspected issues with chemistry, we need to evaluate all the potential causes which starts with the questions Wireform asked above. It all starts there. Let us know so we can help you.

Remember to follow our --------> Pool Care Basics

FC is low, but that I am not surprised about due to the heat and sun here.
You are not surprised because FC level is entirely up to you, and you are willfully allowing it to be low.

Welcome to TFP, where we'll show you how to be a master of your pool on the cheap and easy. :)

How Clear is TFP Clear?

I am using the Taylor K-2006C test kit. Chlorinating with Bleach either 10% from Walmart if it gets shipped in time or the 13.5% from Leslies if I cant get it in from Walmart. I put in 5lbs of dry acid on Sunday, testing today numbers are:

FC: 7.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.4
TA: 140
CH: 325
CYA: 60

The app says ideal for TA is 60-80 so that's why I was worried.
I see. The APP is a great tool but doesn't have the ability to consider all options/scenarios. I would say focus on the pH for now. If/when the pH does rise to 8.0, then use enough acid to lower the pH to about 7.2. Each time you do that it will help to lower the TA a little at a time. Of course your local fill water can increase the TA if it's elevated, so it's a back & forth game. But pH is the most important at the moment.

Here's the TFP article in case you ever need it.

Houston fill water is about 150 TA, so you will have upwards pressure on TA from evaporation and filling.

You mentioned dry acid - TFP strongly recommends muriatic acid (available in pool section of Lowe’s or HD, or Ace) because of the risks of dry acid on equipment.

Reactions: reggiehammond

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am using the Taylor K-2006C test kit. Chlorinating with Bleach either 10% from Walmart if it gets shipped in time or the 13.5% from Leslies if I cant get it in from Walmart. I put in 5lbs of dry acid on Sunday, testing today numbers are:

FC: 7.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.4
TA: 140
CH: 325
CYA: 60
Looks good - with high TA, your pH should drift higher over a few days. Dose with Muriatic Acid once you hit 8.0 to 7.0 or 7.2 using Pool Math. It'll knock back the TA.

If you can get back to 50-60, your pH will stabilize, but with high TA fill water, it'll be a constant battle all summer.
I have 200 TA well water, so I know the battle well. But its easy - weekly MA additions take just a few seconds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.