flylightly

Jul 24, 2023
NJ
Hi all! I've been dealing with a super cloudy/hazy pool for about 2 weeks now and no matter what I've done to clear it up (inexplicable amounts of shock, conditioner, stabilizer, alkalinity-up, clarifier, baking soda, algicide, etc.), I have had no luck. For some inexplicable reason, the majority of pool companies and "pool guys" in the area are all on vacation (???) right now, so I'm turning to reddit!

The pool essentially veers between generally hazy (can see through to the bottom of the shallow end but not of the deep end), to almost a green-ish tint, which is why I had tried the algicide. We also do have what I suspect is a slight leak in the filter - could that be the issue? I haven't backwashed and to be honest, I'm not certain about the maintenance of a DE filter - a family friend noticed that neither company which opened/closed our pool last summer actually did anything to the filter itself.

Not sure if this is a filter issue, due to the leak, or if we possibly added too many Dang chemicals over the last few weeks that now it's just going to be cloudy for he next month. The pool was *perfect* in June, truly crystal clear water, and we'd love love love to get that back ASAP.

Any help is appreciated - thanks, all! Photo is attached

General info:

16000 gallons

vinyl

DE filter

Here are the readings from the water, which was tested this morning:

free chlorine: 1.02 ppm

total chlorine: 1.5 ppm

combined chlorine:.48ppm

ph: 7.6

hardness: 264 ppm

alkalinity: 86 ppm

cyanuric acid: 12 ppm (this should prob. be higher, right?)

copper: 0ppm

iron: 0ppm

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100/Pro or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

If you aren’t sure about the TFP methodology preached here then take a look at
How Clear is TFP Clear? for inspiration.

It just works, is consistent, ie whoever helps you here will tell you the same thing to do (unlike pool stores and pool services that aren’t often even consistent with themselves), and will save you $100s a year.

Sounds very similar to the issue I’ve been experiencing with my 35k gallon pool and your pool looks almost exactly like mine…you may want to check your return jets aren’t blowing sand into your pool . We constantly run our pump and have tried everything to clear up our pool but unfortunately we have not had any success. I assumed we had a severe algae problem due to the dark patches on the bottom of pool and how hazy the water was. So yesterday I turned the pump off and forgot to turn it back on and just remembered I never turned it back on until a bit ago, and I believe I have discovered our issue. The pool is now the clearest it has been all summer and I’m almost certain the return jets have been blowing sand into the pool. Since the water has had time to settle due to the pump being off, the sand has also settled and the patches of “algae” have tripled in size, so now the water is looking much better. Now I’m just upset about all the $ that was wasted on chemicals.

Sounds very similar to the issue I’ve been experiencing with my 35k gallon pool and your pool looks almost exactly like mine…you may want to check your return jets aren’t blowing sand into your pool . We constantly run our pump and have tried everything to clear up our pool but unfortunately we have not had any success. I assumed we had a severe algae problem due to the dark patches on the bottom of pool and how hazy the water was. So yesterday I turned the pump off and forgot to turn it back on and just remembered I never turned it back on until a bit ago, and I believe I have discovered our issue. The pool is now the clearest it has been all summer and I’m almost certain the return jets have been blowing sand into the pool. Since the water has had time to settle due to the pump being off, the sand has also settled and the patches of “algae” have tripled in size, so now the water is looking much better. Now I’m just upset about all the $ that was wasted on chemicals.
I’d be willing to bet you are seeing dead algae settling on the bottom. Does it poof and dissipate when you try to scoop some up? Sand feels gritty - does the sediment at bottom of your pool feel gritty?

If you have been chucking in a bunch of stuff like algaecides and whatnot, yep, you’ve wasted money. Time and liquid chlorine will take care of the issue.

Do you have a good test kit (not strips) so you can test your own water? If not, you need one. Check my signature for a recommended kit. And while you wait to receive, take a look at the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.