Issues on moving from sand to cartridge

Jan 8, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Hi All,

Thanks for all the help in the past.

My (5 year old) sand filter has a hairline crack around the neck (long story), I have taken the filter out and I'm replacing it (for a number of reasons which I don't want to go in to) with a cartridge filter, which I have already.

The two issues I have right now, in order of priority:

1. The enclosed area where the pool equipment lives has a very low ceiling, it's under the house and the ceiling is the floor of the house, it's also cramped, dark and dirty down there, basically if I put the cartridge filter in the same place as the sand filter then I'm not going to be able to get the filter out of the top, my current thinking is that when I need to clean the filter I drain the water out of the filter by letting some air in (the equipment is higher up than the pool), disconnect both the inlet and outlet and take the whole thing outside, any issues with that, it doesn't weigh much and it would be a lot easier to work on and inspect it outside?

2. How do we deal with excess water in the pool (after a lot of rain), we have the old waste pipe, do people add in a 3-way valve on the inlet before the filter that diverts to waste?

Thanks (again) for looking.

Richard

1. Could work, but sounds annoying ;) and when wet it might be heavier than you anticipate, unless very small (and thus undersized)
2. Yes plumb in a 3 way between the pump and filter into the waste line

Reactions: rthorntn
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.