Switching from sand to cartridge filter, which one to buy?

babytoes

Jul 28, 2016
St. Albans, Vermont
We've decided this year too switch from our old Hayward sand filter (came with the house, 10 years ago!) to a cartridge filter system. I've struggled in the past with algea issues (we travel a lot during the summer, leaving the pool to fend for itself for 3-5 days) and I'm hoping that by moving to a cartridge system the maintenance will be a little less.

There are so many to choose from though! I tried searching the forums but all the post about which 'one would you choose' were pretty old, and the filters aren't even named the same.

Also, can we use the pump we currently have? It's only two years old and still works great.

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Just to clear up any misconceptions, chemistry keeps the pool from having algae. Any filter will clog with algae if you slack on the chemistry.

Going larger with any filter delays the need to clean them. No more, no less. Often times, people change styles and upsize. They praise the new style not realizing it was the upsize that mattered.

If you want to be able to leave the pool for days ****cough cough weeks cough*** spend the filter money on a SWG.

FWIW, I am a hardcore cartridge guy and have a 500 sq ft system on a 34k pool.

Reactions: babytoes
I'm hoping that by moving to a cartridge system the maintenance will be a little less.
Imgonna agree with @Newdude. Your algae issue is chemistry, not the filter.

I second the notion of a Salt Water chlorine generator, I've gone away for 2 weeks and came back to the same FC.

I'm neutral on filters. Get what you like. I like my sand filter. I don't have to clean it like a cartridge, but I do have to backwash. It is fairly large and don't have to backwash but about once a month. Sand filter will stay until it dies. If it works, why not leave it?

I'm neutral on filters. Get what you like. I like my sand filter. I don't have to clean it like a cartridge, but I do have to backwash. It is fairly large and don't have to backwash but about once a month. Sand filter will stay until it dies. If it works, why not leave it?
One big reason we want to move away from the sand is the backwashing. Our neighbors live on a slight down slope from us and over the past couple years all their bushes along the property line have died. She grumbles about us killing her plants all the time 😤

One big reason we want to move away from the sand is the backwashing. Our neighbors live on a slight down slope from us and over the past couple years all their bushes along the property line have died. She grumbles about us killing her plants all the time 😤
That is an excellent reason to get a cartridge filter!

Reactions: babytoes
Are you backwashing often? Should be waiting until your filter pressure rises by 25% over the clean filter pressure.

Just to clear up any misconceptions, chemistry keeps the pool from having algae. Any filter will clog with algae if you slack on the chemistry.

Going larger with any filter delays the need to clean them. No more, no less. Often times, people change styles and upsize. They praise the new style not realizing it was the upsize that mattered.

If you want to be able to leave the pool for days ****cough cough weeks cough*** spend the filter money on a SWG.

FWIW, I am a hardcore cartridge guy and have a 500 sq ft system on a 34k pool.
Yes, I fully and completely agree with algea being a chemistry issue. I test and test but I still have moments of getting a green tinge.
Chemistry had never been my strong suit 😫
I was hoping that it would make maintenance a bit easier.

Please know, I don't leave the pool for weeks, 😇 only a couple days and I usually try to get the FC pretty high before leaving. Not that constant care isn't best, it certainly is! Our neighbors have some contraption that puts clorine into the water automatically, and I want to look into that as well.

Reactions: newdude
Please know, I don't leave the pool for weeks, 😇 only a couple days and I usually try to get the FC pretty high before leaving.
Do you have the latest test results from your TF-100, and are you following the FC/CYA chat to make sure you have enough chlorine?

Generally speaking, when we see "pretty high" chlorine it is rarely what TFP would consider pretty high.

Do you have the latest test results from your TF-100, and are you following the FC/CYA chat to make sure you have enough chlorine?

Generally speaking, when we see "pretty high" chlorine it is rarely what TFP would consider pretty high.
I got the newest TF-100 last summer. I do all of the opening testing and then once it's stable and clean I just do the basic FC test. Last summer I worked really hard to get the CYA where it needed to be, I think that may have been some of my issue the years prior.

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.