Is this algae?

tiz_ry

Jun 9, 2023
Long Island, NY
Hello All,

This is my first pool. However, I've been reading up for a few days, a lot of good information on this site! I recently had a pool installed. It is an oxygen pool system semi in-ground 16'x28'. I have a sand filter system.

I've shocked the pool to the manufacturer's specs which was double the normal dosage of their non-chlorine shock and it was fine for the first few days. My pump runs 8 hours per day on low speed. However, for the past few days I've been seeing these spots forming on the bottom of the pool. I've been vacuuming to waste, but they still reappear the next morning.

Is this mustard algae?

Attachments

• IMG_8976.jpg
    IMG_8976.jpg
    738.7 KB · Views: 27
Definitely algae..Likely mustard algae.

It is your pool and you can do what you want with it...but you're going to have a hard time clearing it with non-chlorine shock and your oxygenation system.

Long-term you'll likely want to switch to a chlorine system.

Definitely algae..Likely mustard algae.

It is your pool and you can do what you want with it...but you're going to have a hard time clearing it with non-chlorine shock and your oxygenation system.

Long-term you'll likely want to switch to a chlorine system.
Thank you, Tikoh.

Is there a thread showing the recommended steps to a chlorine system or is it as simple as disconnecting the oxygen system, and beginning the chlorine SLAM process?

I’m
Thank you, Tikoh.

Is there a thread showing the recommended steps to a chlorine system or is it as simple as disconnecting the oxygen system, and beginning the chlorine SLAM process?
I’m sure someone else will chime in..I’m not sure exactly what chemicals you’ve been using. A lot of those systems use peroxide which will eat up chlorine until all the peroxide is gone. From there, you should be good to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.