Is Pentair SWG installed correctly?

mickmurph

Jun 26, 2023
Minnesota
Hi Friends,
We got our new vinyl pool started up and we love it but our Pentair IC-40 SWG can’t seem to get above 3000. According to the manual we should be at 3600-4000 but we are at 2980. They already replaced the salt cell once and said the first one was “bad” but I’m beginning to wonder if it’s not installed correctly when I look at the manual. We do have a booster pump Polaris cleaner so that does apply. Am I crazy or did they not install this correctly per the manual? This is all Greek to me but I don’t see the booster pump being on its own return line and the salt cell looks like it is installed horizontally not vertically. It’s also quite close to the heater. We have one payment left to give them so if this needs to be fixed, now is our opportunity.

Attachments

• IMG_2096.png
    IMG_2096.png
    174.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2097.jpeg
    IMG_2097.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2100.jpeg
    IMG_2100.jpeg
    690.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2101.jpeg
    IMG_2101.jpeg
    672.8 KB · Views: 36
Post a full set of current test results from one of the recommended test kits.
Test Kits Compared

For testing the salt use a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit (or one from the TF-Pro Salt if that's your kit).

I see your PoolMath logs are already linked to your forum profile. Post the results there or as below.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water Temperature

Remove the blue backwash hose from around the pump - it's restricting airflow to the motor.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing you help specific to your pool without the need to ask you each time.

Your IC40 installation looks fine. Most installations are horizontal, not vertical.

Your booster pump looks fine.

How are you measuring your salinity? You need to use a Taylor K-1766 or TFT Salt test kit.

How many gallons are in your pool?

How much salt has been added?

Reactions: mickmurph
Your IC40 installation looks fine. Most installations are horizontal, not vertical.

Your booster pump looks fine.

How are you measuring your salinity? You need to use a Taylor K-1766 or TFT Salt test kit.

How many gallons are in your pool?

How much salt has been added?
Thank you. Phew. We do have the TF salt pro test kit but my husband has yet to go out and learn how to take the tests. I feel I’ll be taking on that task. :) so far we have just been using the test strips. We will get on this over the weekend so we get more accurate levels.

Mick,

When you have a SWCG, one of the things that you must have the ability to do is test the "actual" salt level in the pool, so that you can compare that to the "Reported" salt level from the cell... Since you have the TF-Pro salt, you already have everything you need. :goodjob:

The cell works based on what it "thinks" the salt level is.. In general you need to make the cell happy. But, you do not want to get your actual salt level too high.

If your actually salt level is more than a 1,000 ppm different than what the cell reports, then you have a problem.

Step 1 is to test your "actual' salt level with your test kit.

Please report back what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.