Is CircuPool UL40 from Discountsaltpool still the best SWG deal?

alosito

Jun 24, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
I am currently using liquid chlorine for my 18,000 galon pool, and I am considering switching to SWG. The current lowest price on liquid chlorine that I can find in Southern California is $5.44 per gallon from Walmart. I am trying to understand in how many years I will break even if I switch to SWG. Is the deal on CircuPool UL40 (am I correct it is going to sufficient for my pool size) from Discountsaltpool still currently the best in the market ($999)?

Last edited:
I have an 18,000-gallon pool that I currently take care of with liquid chlorine. I add about a half a gallon of 10% chroline on a standard day which means I spend about $700 on chlorine per year. When considering switching to SWG, I thought UL40 would be a sufficient unit for my set-up ($999). When talking to support at Discount Salt Pool, however, they recommended Core35 unit instead ($1,499). Are they just trying to make me spend more or is Core35 really worth spending $500 for my set-up?

*cracks knuckles*

1 gal 10% = 5.6 FC for 18k gallons

$5 jug = $0.89 per FC
$6 jug = $1.07 per FC. (Walmart is a hair over $6 after tax)
$7 jug = $1.25. (Lowes is $7.79 plus tax)
Home Depot ($10 ish, just don't even)

We have found circupool to greatly overestimate their production #s, on their chart at DSP (them) and they are head and shoulder above the rest. (Per them).

I will be extra conservative and instead of 2lbs a day, I will use 1.4lbs which is the IC40 output that at its worst, it matches. It very well could do better and that's all gravy if it does. But using 1.4lbs per day for 10k hours:

9.3 FC per 24 hours
3875 lifetime FC
$0.26 per FC at $999 for the unit.

It's the equivalent of 693 jugs that would cost $3465 at $5, or $4158 at $6. Plus sales tax for even more out of pocket. ($3769/$4523 in NY). With the SWG you're only paying sales tax on the $999, for even more, more savings. Said tax savings alone will easily cover any salt needed for a long time.

Not lugging 693 jugs is PRICELESS, trust me here, you don't even know. @PoolStored told me he'd fill in his pool on day *3* if he ever had to go back.

You could pay $1500 for a full PB install, plus the $1k unit and still be up $1300. The controller lasts for several cells so you only need to replace the cell, increasing your ROI longterm at the $0.26 per FC rate for those cells.

@PoolStored told me he'd fill in his pool on day *3* if he ever had to go back.
WORD.

I did a year of manual dosing and a year with a Stenner pump...worked great. @Newdude told me not to get an SWCG, what I had was working for me. Great reverse psychology...telling ME...NOT to do something. Had it installed a couple weeks later. SWCG is boring. SWCG is MaGiC...it just works. I don't care about the economics, I'd pay 4x chlorine costs a year...saves me sooooo much time and hassle. The pool is always ready and I spend less that, Maaaaaybe 10 minutes a week on testing.....Yawn.

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I will be extra conservative and instead of 2lbs a day, I will use 1.4lbs which is the IC40 output that at its worst, it matches. It very well could do better and that's all gravy if it does. But using 1.4lbs per day for 10k hours:

9.3 FC per 24 hours
3875 lifetime FC
$0.26 per FC at $999 for the unit.
Do I understand it right that UL40 will be sufficient enough for my 18,000-gallon pool considering that I rarely add more than 4 FC per day? I wonder why Discount Salt Pool suggested a get a more powefull unit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only value the $300 gets you is a fan on the controller, and 50% more chlorine making ability. If you can maintain your water that means that the RJ45+ would last longer.

And, and and...the UL40 is $1189, you can buy the RJ-45 for $10 more than the RJ30 by using the current promo, making the RJ45 $1299!!! only $110 more.

See big red box on this page...

My mistake. The output is the same on the two units, I had my RJ60 output in my head. There may be some programming difference like display and how granular the output. The RJ you get the cooling fan. Just need to figure out how to cool it...

The UL is a Hayward clone. So I suspect they have the same control board frailties, Not a big deal if you monitor your salinity and have some soldering skills if some of the components need to be replaced. Cheap if you can do it yourself. Do check the cost of replacement cells.

You have a VS pump so the % generation adjustments are not as critical. But do realize some have finer adjustments than others.

The Core they were recommending is very simple. No external control module, etc. It is also one of their newer models

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.