Iron Removal Fresh Fill

Tfpuser774

Jul 9, 2022
Minnesota
Hello,

New pool owner looking to get ahead of iron.

We have a Coleman Power Steel 10’x16’x4’ above ground vinyl pool, 3,600 gallons. It’s filling up now.

We have iron in our water which is becoming visibly tinged yellow. I’ve added no chemicals yet (but have them) as it’s not full yet. It’ll be a traditional chlorine system. Currently has the stock pump and cartridge filter.

I’m filling it through a bucket filled with poly fill.

Water Status (no chlorine or CYA yet)
-Alkalinity 360ppm (high)
-PH 8.2 (high)
-Hardness 300ppm (normal)

A few questions:
1) Should I get the Alkalinity and PH down first?
2) Should I super-shock with chlorine to oxidize the iron and then let it get filtered out?
3) I have pool clarifier. Should I maybe use? Before or after the shock?

When we dealt with it in the past we shocked, clarified, and filtered with a sock on the return. Worked well. The clarifier helps the particles stick together so they are bigger and more easily caught. We rinsed the sock out twice a day and attached it over the return with a hair tie. Took a couple days but cleared it right up.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
1 - TA will take time, no rush for this specific issue. The pH management is more important.
2 - You can, but that always comes with the risk of staining.
3 - With no way to vacuum to waste, a clarifier could mess-up your filter.

Give the polyfill some time to do it's job. You may be surprised.

Also see our Pool Care Basics page.

full

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
1 - TA will take time, no rush for this specific issue. The pH management is more important.
2 - You can, but that always comes with the risk of staining.
3 - With no way to vacuum to waste, a clarifier could mess-up your filter.

Give the polyfill some time to do it's job. You may be surprised.

Also see our Pool Care Basics page.

I’m using the Pooli app to give me chemical dosing instructions; I’m using JNW test strips.

I applied some chemicals:
4:00pm: 3/4 cup dry acid (1/2 the recommend dose)
4:30pm 3/4 cup dry acid
5:00pm 1/2 cup clarifier
7:00pm 3/4 cup dry acid
7:30pm 3-1/2 cup Liquid Chlorine 10%

I’m seeing no visible changes and only some chemical changes by 8:00pm:
-TC 1.0
-FC 1.0
-PH 8.2
-TA 240

Is this normal? Seems like the TC&FC should be higher for a fresh fill and shock. Does it normally take this long for PH to go down?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.