INTEX 14" Krystal Klear Sand Filter Pump Make Noise

On the fan end of the motor shaft there is a screwdriver slot. You can hold the motor shaft with that, and use a strap wrench on the impeller. The longer the pump has been in service, the harder it will be to remove the impeller. Get some PB Blaster, and spray the motor shaft/impeller connection. That could make it easier to remove. Be sure to use anti-seize compound when you reinstall it.

Should have updated this.
Broke the heavy screw-driver in that slot... YIKES, didn't think I had that much upper body strength; however, I worked in a Bakery while going to College so I have a little bit.
Finally took the rotor into work with me and after shift asked to use the big work vise. We wrapped the rotor in a rubber-backed cloth to keep the vise from damaging the rotor, and between myself and "Hulk" (this guy is big! His had just fit between the housing and the OD of the impeller) we managed to get the impeller off.
The very back of the impeller shaft sleeve is chipped. We're not sure why or how.

The back (slot end) 608zz pulled off very easy
The front 608 - not so much if an easy thing. What we did:
- Placed the rusted end of the shaft in a warm oil bath over night...
- Next day we screwed on a thick body 8mm threaded nut. The bearing puller could then use this nut to keep centered on the shaft while the claws pulled against the bearing race and the rust just scrapped off the shaft as we pulled. Hulk also kept dripping a bit of cutting oil against the leading edge of the race.

Compared the bearings against what we have on-site... in the shop we have a sealed version rated for harsh environment, high thrust, and 3800-RPM that runs $100(us) each YIKES that i could have bought at cost; however, we have a Fastenal shop in town that has a better grade of the 608ZZ and 608RS than the Intex-OEM-608 for about $1(us) each with the discount they give our company (we purchase a ton of stuff from them (^_^) )... guess where I went today.

The shop let me borrow a 8mm bore sleeve to seat the bearings with this weekend (I love my company, so long as you get a permission slip we can check out small equipment over the weekend (^_^) )

So I'll have this rebuilt this weekend... in the mean time, I've also received the larger sand filter... maybe should have waited - however, I was afraid that I'd break the impeller - this way I have a backup!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.