Intelliph and Intellicenter

There's a little white ball inside the injector that acts as a backflow preventer, keeping the water from the plumbing from traveling back up to the IpH pump. Did you have one of those snorkel sets as a kid with a ping pong ball in the snorkel that would seal off the snorkel when you went under water, to keep you from sucking in the pool? It works a little like that, only not by gravity, but by the water pressure. So the injector should work fine in any orientation.

That said, while the IpH installation instructions don't specifically say to orient it vertically, they do show a picture of one mounted vertically. So I mounted mine vertically. You have room to do the same, if you want to play it safe.

IMG_20240503_194102892~2.jpg

I would probably put it at #2 position. That is a bit better protected than #1, and keeps the run of pipe into the IC unencumbered.

The IC installation instructions call for a straight run of pipe leading into the IC. 12-18" I think it reads. There is some debate here about whether that is strictly necessary or not. I'm in the camp that thinks it is, plus Pentair specifically calls that out in the instructions. That run ensures minimal water turbulence hitting the IC's flow switch, which conceivably could mean the IC will be satisfied with a lower flow rate (which theoretically would save on energy costs).

Point being, the IpH injector mounted in that "pre-IC" run would cause little turbulence, but not none. So why not play it safe and put it somewhere else? Either where you originally indicated, or down on that lower pipe (#2).

Another faction here thinks it should be at position #3, counter to the Pentair instructions. They site the acid can cause wear on the IC's delicate plate coatings, so after the IC is better. That certainly makes sense. But mine was installed before my IC, and I don't have any pressing reason to move it now (plus, that location jives with Pentair's IpH instructions).

My somewhat-educated guess is that it'll work just fine in any of the four locations.

Last edited:
Thanks @Dirk as always. I will go with #2. I have also read that those mounting before the IC so really need to do the period acid wash. I'll go with #2 for the reason of keeping at least the 12" and the other reasons you mentioned and before the IC also because Pentair suggest doing that.

With that said, #3 is attractive as the iPH will be install on a frash pad right behind that location behind the filter tank.

1000000161.jpg

Reactions: Dirk