Intelliflo VS Pump Turns Off In Filter Mode, Not Cleaner

Jun 13, 2018
Encinitas
My Intelliflo VS pump is turning off when it is in normal filter/pool mode or spa mode after about a minute. If I run the pump on Cleaner only mode, the pump runs fine, which makes me think the pump mechanism is also fine. I'm also getting a NO COMM message on my Easytouch panel in the house. I'm hoping the two issues are related but have no clue how to fix this issue. The spa and filter/pool send temp data and info to the Easytouch whereas the Cleaner mode doesn't, so maybe that's why Cleaner mode will still run. FWIW, there is a spa side Easytouch controller that has been non-functional for about a year also. Are there any temporary workarounds possibly to get the normal filter mode to keep running if it's just a communications issue?

What does the pump control screen say on the pump itself? It should say something such as Not Active. This would then indicate that the pump is being controlled by the RS485 cable that runs form the pump to the PCB in the ET automation.
If the pump control screen is active, then the RS485 cable is not properly connected which could be giving the NO COMM message.

What does the pump control screen say on the pump itself? It should say something such as Not Active. This would then indicate that the pump is being controlled by the RS485 cable that runs form the pump to the PCB in the ET automation.
If the pump control screen is active, then the RS485 cable is not properly connected which could be giving the NO COMM message.
Yes it’s showing as Display Not Active. When the filter pump or spa mode is activated the pump will run for a minute or two and then will show NO COMM on the easy touch panel in the house and shut off. The only time the pump will sustain is on cleaner mode which doesn’t send temp/status to the the Easy Touch panel and doesn’t get a NO COMM message.

Welcome to TFP.

How long have you had the Intelliflo VS pump?

What model number VS pump?

Has the Vs pump been working fine for a long time and when did this problem occur.

Pentair has Intelliflo VS pumps out with buggy firmware. If this is a new pump install that doesn't run correctly you should check the firmware level in the pump.

Welcome to TFP.

How long have you had the Intelliflo VS pump?

What model number VS pump?

Has the Vs pump been working fine for a long time and when did this problem occur.

Pentair has Intelliflo VS pumps out with buggy firmware. If this is a new pump install that doesn't run correctly you should check the firmware level in the pump.

The install is five years old. Here is the info on the pump:

Attachments

• IMG_8132.jpeg
    IMG_8132.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 4
My Intelliflo VS pump is turning off when it is in normal filter/pool mode or spa mode after about a minute. If I run the pump on Cleaner only mode, the pump runs fine, which makes me think the pump mechanism is also fine.
If you run the pump on cleaner mode.... which pump? The VS pump?

What is Cleaner Mode? How do you run it on cleaner mode?

I'm also getting a NO COMM message on my Easytouch panel in the house.

When you get a NO COMM message on the EasyTouch what does the pump display show?

The spa and filter/pool send temp data and info to the Easytouch whereas the Cleaner mode doesn't, so maybe that's why Cleaner mode will still run.

What is this Cleaner Mode?

The EasyTouch has a water temperature sensor and air temperature sensor it uses in both POOL and SPA mode.

What is Cleaner Mode? How do you run it on cleaner mode?
I think the OP is referring to the button "Quick Clean" on the pump. Pressing it will ramp up the RPMs to run a vacuum cleaner or increase skimmer action.

I think the OP is referring to the button "Quick Clean" on the pump. Pressing it will ramp up the RPMs to run a vacuum cleaner or increase skimmer action.

I would like to get clarification since Quick Clean should not work when the pump is under automation control unless the EasyTouch is in SERVICE mode.

It sounds like RS-485 comm with the pump is being lost and that is the problem that needs to be worked.

All the other things in the first post are a distraction to the root problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I woudl like to get clarification since Quick Clean should not work when the pump is under automation control unless the EasyTouch is in SERVICE mode.

It sounds like RS-485 comm with the pump is being lost and that is the problem that needs to be worked.

All the other things in the first post are a distraction to the root problem.
Sorry I should have clarified. The Easytouch main control panel was set up to have a pool/filter button and a cleaner button. The cleaner button is for the pool vacuum. If it runs while the pool/filter mode is running, it just increases the RPMs on the pump to increase suction. If it runs alone, not in pool/filter mode, the actuators close valves so there is no suction coming from the skimmer, only the vacuum port. I don't do anything on the pump control panel itself so it's not referring to quick clean mode.

Show me the The Easytouch main control panel with the buttons you are referring to.

Anything connected to the relay plugged into AUX5 on the PCB?

Remove the front panel of the EasyTouch and show me the wiring.

Also show me pics of your equipment pad.

Anything connected to the relay plugged into AUX5 on the PCB?

Remove the front panel of the EasyTouch and show me the wiring.

Also show me pics of your equipment pad.
Here are photos. My pool cleaner got the alarm log on the pump to show an F90052 error code as well, which looks like a supply voltage issue? I included two pics of the indoor control panel, one showing NO COMM after the filter/pump cycle ran for 30 seconds and then shut down. You can see on this one that the time still shows 9:03 AM, four hours prior to taking the pic, which was when the filter/pump cycle tried to last run. The 2:14 PM pic of the indoor control panel is the screen while the pump is running on the cleaner (Aux 5) mode, which doesn't send the water temp info to the indoor panel.

Attachments

• IMG_8146.jpg
    IMG_8146.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8147.jpg
    IMG_8147.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8148.jpg
    IMG_8148.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8149.jpg
    IMG_8149.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8150.jpg
    IMG_8150.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8151.jpg
    IMG_8151.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 3
When you turn on your Cleaner on AUX5 do you also have the Filter Pump on with the F button?

Which relay is plugged into J8 and which relay is plugged into J13?

Do not put your hands into the high voltage section wi8thoput removing ALL power to the Load Center.

Only do what you judge to be safe. You are possibly working around live voltage.

1714436427137.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support