Intellichlor IC40 red and green flashing lights

Mar 8, 2012
My intellichlor IC40 has red and green alternating flashing salt level lights low-good; a steady red light for flow. Just like in this video pulled from the web:

There are many posts about this and I have had this condition before. Yes, I have had the pool chemicals tested and they are all ok (ph 7.0, salt 3300ppm etc). Temp is 70. Yes, flow is very good (and in any case I tried a much higher speed on my var speed pump to no effect). Cell is clean.

So, as in the past, I ordered a new flow switch and replaced it (here is what I purchased: https://www.walmart.com/ip/EROCK-Fl...IC40-IC60/724889076?athbdg=L1100&from=/search)

The flashing lights condition did not go away. It got worse: now the diagnostics in my EasyTouch says salt 0 ppm (it was reading the same 3300ppm as when tested at the store before I replaced the flow switch). Oh, and I did try to shut the system off for 15 min, disconnect and reconnect the cable from the chlorinator to the control panel, and waited 12 hrs, all recommendations in other threads. No progress.

So:
1. Could the flow switch be bad? How can I test?
2. Maybe the connection to the flow switch is bad? The four cables are connected by pressing on the 4 button splices without removing insulator from cable, but maybe some/all are not making good contact? How do I know/test?
3. Could it be something else?

B,

Did your old flow switch have three wires or four.?

4 wire switches will not work on three wire systems.

The salt light flash when the cell initially starts up as the cell is trying to calculate the salt level. When you have no flow, nothing else will work..

If you actually have good flow, then it could be any of the following.

1. The Flow Switch is bad
2. The Flow switch is in backwards.
3. The whole cell is in backwards and the flow switch needs to be in backward to work
4. The connections for the new flow switch are bad
5. A bad cell

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Replaced 4 wired switch with 4 wire switch, with color translation as in the image below, the 4-to-4 (except that for one wire the switch has a see through insulation for what should be white). Flow switch has arrows (externally) so flow can be aligned: I assumed the arrows point in the direction of the flow, is that correct? (when looking inside the cell the thin metal side with plastic button of the flow switch faces incoming flow, right?). One thing I can assure you is the whole cell is not backwards (I know because it had been working properly for years). I'll check connections.

c6161190-2ded-42b4-bf46-ec2b1357fc35.613b20fc004e30e76bd5266e21eda6cd.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.