Rotonda West, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
New install August 2022 and this is my 1st pool. The unit seems to struggle to keep an FC level of 2.0 ppm. Unit is set at 80%. I have been adding liquid CL to boost the FC level.
Recently was away for 10 days and found mustard algae upon return. Pump was left on during my absence. Based on what I have learned reading TFP forums it seems the FC is too low overall.
Pool size is 13,000 +/- gallons
Wet Edge finish
Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter 100 sqft.
Pentair VS pump which is run 12 hrs/day @ 2,000 rpm
Pool gets full sun from about 10 am to 7 pm
Pool is inside a cage
Recently been having high levels of pollen in SWFL.
TA - 100 ppm
pH - 7.4 - 7.8 typical range based on daily testing
CH - 350 ppm
CYA - 50 ppm
Salt - 4,000 ppm
Using Taylor kit K2006C for all except salt which is a digital meter reading.

Questions
1. Is the IC20 working correctly and is this unit large enough? I have been cleaning the unit monthly to remove buildup on the plates.
2. What should the FC level be to better avoid an algae issue?

Any suggestions or comments would be welcome. I have done the slam to clear the mustard algae and the pool looks to be back to a normal appearance with no CC. Just allowing the FC level to drop to the normal range.
Many thanks

Welcome to TFP.

What % output do you run your IC20?

13 hours per day of generation is too little chlorine even if you run your IC20 at 100%.

Run your pump 24/7 and increase the amount of chlorine generated.

When you deplete your IC20 replace it with an IC40 and you can then run your pump less to get the same amount of chlorine.

Lower your TA to 60-70 to reduce the scaling in your cell…

Constant cleaning of the cell with acid will reduce its life…

Welcome to TFP.

What % output do you run your IC20?

13 hours per day of generation is too little chlorine even if you run your IC20 at 100%.

Run your pump 24/7 and increase the amount of chlorine generated.

When you deplete your IC20 replace it with an IC40 and you can then run your pump less to get the same amount of chlorine.

Lower your TA to 60-70 to reduce the scaling in your cell…

Constant cleaning of the cell with acid will reduce its life…

My output was set at 80%, I have increased it to 100% and will run the system 24/7 based on your suggestion. I agree with you to replace the IC20 with an IC40 once the unit is done.

Leave it at 80% and run your pump 24/7. That will give your 13,000 gallon pool 5.2 ppm of Fc/day. That is probably more than you need and you will probably need to lower it to around 60% once you see your FC rising above target for your CYA level.

At 13 hours @ 80% you were giving your pool 2.8 ppm of FC/day and were probably short about 1 ppm of FC.

Leave it at 80% and run your pump 24/7. That will give your 13,000 gallon pool 5.2 ppm of Fc/day. That is probably more than you need and you will probably need to lower it to around 60% once you see your FC rising above target for your CYA level.

At 13 hours @ 80% you were giving your pool 2.8 ppm of FC/day and were probably short about 1 ppm of FC.
Thank for the information and setting recommendation. Will maintain at 80% and a 24/7 schedule.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.