Intellichlor has apparently died. Replacement options?

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
Our Pentair IC40 has quit. No lights at all. This summer is it's 10th season. I'm assuming it is a goner, so we need to replace it asap. What are the latest SWGs that would be great for our 18,000 gallon AGP? I'm looking at CircuPool, which is a brand I'm unfamiliar with, but gets good reviews (Universal 40 or RJ45).

a,

So, your IntelliChlor lasted 10 years and you now want to go with another brand???

I agree the cell is most likely dead, but how do you know it is not a bad power center?

Thanks,

Jim R.

So, I assume that means 10 years is a good thing? I'm open to suggestions. I've just been researching to find a replacement and keep seeing CircuPool mentioned. I'm fine with getting another IntelliChlor if that's the best option. I have no idea if it's a bad power center, since I don't know what a power center is... that's why I'm here asking questions :)

A,

The average life of a salt cell, all brands, is 5 to 7 years.

The cell has to be plugged into some kind of power supply. It normally gets plugged into a Pentair Automation system or a Pentair Power Center.

The automation system is a big box, while the power Center is about 12" x 8" or so.

Both the automation system and the Power Center have a large transformer that changes line voltage into about 28 VAC and then it changes the AC voltage into about 40 Volts DC that runs the cell. If the cell has no lights at all it could be a bad cell, or a bad power supply.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sounds like our IC40 has lived well past its expected lifespan! So, I'm looking at replacing it with either another IC40 or one of three CircuPool chlorinators. Hoping to get some feedback about the differences/ pros and cons of each and possible experiences with CircuPool.

Circupool has become a popular choice here is the last few years. Probably too soon to gauge the long term reliability of the brand. Don't confuse popularity with quality and long-term reliability. You have 10-years of research supporting the IC40 as a sound choice. I'm happy with my RJ-45+, but having had it for little over year, I'm not ready to endorse it. There are lots of brands out there, each with it's share of positive and negative reviews. Do your research before making a final decision. Here is one recent thread on a CP product:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.