installing new returns in gunite pool

I don't know how builders install the in-wall return fittings. I see that they leave extra pipe and recess the hole. Does that recess give enough room to cut the pipe back far enough so that when you glue your fitting on it's flush with the wall? I'm installing new returns and core drilled 2" holes. Just-a-PB advised me to chip in a depth of an inch and 1 1/2" around the hole, then install a waterstop fitting. The water stop fittings I've seen are about 2 1/2" long with about half of it slipping into the pipe. Does the 4 1/2" diam. 1" deep recess give me enough room to cut my pipe? How is this done, just go in there at an angle with a sawsall and cut it? What's the order? I drill holes, chip, install and glue pipe, cut pipe down to recess, glue fitting, cement, and plaster?

You'll need to chip back deeper than that since your pool is currently plastered. I'll suggest about 3" deep and 5-6" in diameter. The excess pipe gets cut back with a grinder so that the face of the flush mount fitting is even with the surface of the plaster.

I drilled a 2" hole in my pool for an auto fill. Used a regular drill, and another guy to hold a hose on it. Diamond core drill. Took 15 min. Not easy, but not hard. The diamond does the cutting pretty well.
hi xyz, i have spent too many hours looking for this exact post! i am planning on doing the same diy. do you have any suggestions? or headaches? thank in advance-