In-ground Spa - New above ground plumbing

tire_kicker

Mar 15, 2019
Seattle
Hello everyone,

I've got in inground hot tub (probably built in the 80's or 90's. Anyway, the filter housing is old and beat up, as well the heater died so I'm looking to refresh/clean up the pump/filter/heater plumbing as part of this project. I have a few questions,

1. All the lines are ridged 2 inch, however the current set up reduces the 2 inch out of the pump, down to 1.5 for the filter, then back up to 2 inch for the return. Is this normal? Should I replace the filter & housing with one that accepts 2 inch lines, or is there something about filters that need the higher velocity that would come with 1.5 inch?

2. I know in pools, extra effort to eliminate a couple of 90 degree elbows isn't normally worth it, but in a spa, I'm wondering if this is a more useful venture. I figure I can eliminate two, or three 90's but repositioning things. In one section I could eliminate three if I use flex pipe. I know flex pipe has higher resistance, but I'm guessing this would be offset by the removal of three elbows? I live in a climate with no termites, or extreme cold, so I'm not worried about the flex pipe failing.

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1003.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1003.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 15
How big is the tub? Post pics.
The pump is also 1.5". No problem.
Any fittings you can eliminate will help, that looks kinda sloppy, but it's not a big deal.
Flex has higher head straight, and even more bent, but if used judiciously can help. But again, not a big deal.
That heater is ancient and uses questionable safety controls that can and have resulted in homes burning down. And it's plastic. I'd advise a heater with modern safety controls.

How big is the tub? Post pics.
The pump is also 1.5". No problem.
Any fittings you can eliminate will help, that looks kinda sloppy, but it's not a big deal.
Flex has higher head straight, and even more bent, but if used judiciously can help. But again, not a big deal.
That heater is ancient and uses questionable safety controls that can and have resulted in homes burning down. And it's plastic. I'd advise a heater with modern safety controls.
Thanks very much,

Yes, this project is being started due to a needed heater replacement. I agree it's a sloppy/janky set up (previous home owners) The old heater you see there has the contactor controlled by a rasp pi I put in with two temp sensors plumbed in. The old mechanical flow switch, thermostat, and hi limit switch are all still in series with the contactor control voltage as an additional safety measure. But regardless, a new pac is going in now.

The pump is also 1.5"
Is it? the fittings are marked 2 inch, but perhaps you mean internally?

I think, other than the pump, I'm going to start fresh and just bin the filter cartridge. Thank you for the advice on the flex line, I'll stick with hard line. Doesn't seem worth it.

Cheers!

I agree it's a sloppy/janky set up (previous home owners)

I think, other than the pump, I'm going to start fresh and just bin the filter cartridge.

Cheers!

Yeah, I especially like the liquidtite that ends 2 inches before the incoming conduit, containing what looks like non UG rated cable.

It sounds like you know what you are doing. Go with the hard schedule 40 and just straighten out whatever you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.