Dallas TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
First time posting, so if I’m in the wrong place, please let me know.

I am in desperate need of help with my pool. We bought this house in the winter and the pool was fine. We figured once the summer came, we would hire a pool company to do the cleaning and maintenance for us, since we have never owned a pool.

I have been calling and emailing every company in my area and I’ve gotten zero responses, so we figured we would just try to do it ourselves and took a water sample to Leslie’s pool supply. They told us our salt was pretty high, but they thought that might’ve been Because the pool pump hadn’t been running in a while. They told us to drain it for the water, and add it back in, and then run the pump for 4+ hours and bring you another water sample.

While we were draining the pool got a random storm and flash flood that overfilled the pool and we had to drain some back out again. Two days later or pool turned green and all of the equipment that we thought had been working seems to have stopped. Our pool salt chlorinator has told us we need to check the cell, that the salt is low, And that the temperature is too high. It just cycles through these without actually turning on the chlorine.

We can’t get anyone to come look at it, or even return our calls, and we have no idea what to do. We don’t want to just dump salt in it to satisfy the chlorinator after Leslies told us we had too much salt, but our pool is becoming a pond very very quickly. Can someone please help?

Attachments

• CD51648E-ECEE-4C1B-B1E3-FF70C8A63095.jpeg
    CD51648E-ECEE-4C1B-B1E3-FF70C8A63095.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 19
  • 6FED59F9-93DB-413F-94F6-3A7F590775A7.jpeg
    6FED59F9-93DB-413F-94F6-3A7F590775A7.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 19
  • FAA210E8-90B3-4309-B0A7-5243C9166012.jpeg
    FAA210E8-90B3-4309-B0A7-5243C9166012.jpeg
    646.4 KB · Views: 17
  • FA1F8E73-A370-4183-9427-2D8388C3FC30.jpeg
    FA1F8E73-A370-4183-9427-2D8388C3FC30.jpeg
    721.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 8F02D973-F714-4795-9017-98E90E92E230.jpeg
    8F02D973-F714-4795-9017-98E90E92E230.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 27308B7C-CFA9-4022-9CC2-9F668078A986.jpeg
    27308B7C-CFA9-4022-9CC2-9F668078A986.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
K,

The very first thing you need to do is find out what the actual salt level is in your pool water.

I use a Taylor K-1766 saltwater test kit.

Without knowing the actual salt level in your pool, you have no idea if your equipment is bad, or if you just need to add a little salt.

Thanks,

Jim R.

K,

The very first thing you need to do is find out what the actual salt level is in your pool water.

I use a Taylor K-1766 saltwater test kit.

Without knowing the actual salt level in your pool, you have no idea if your equipment is bad, or if you just need to add a little salt.

Thanks,

Jim R.
So my saltwater chlorine generator says 2100. Leslie said 4600. They said they couldn’t get an accurate measurement unless it was running, and I’m not sure it is. The chlorine generator says it’s not running.

HEY! Welcome to TFP!!! We can certainly help you. First, you can get an accurate measurement if the PUMP is running, but SWCG running or not does not matter. Second, pool store tests are notoriously wrong and inconsistent. NOT ALL are wrong inconsistent, but you don't know which store you have. Ask me why my name is pool stored. LOL.

I would order this, with smart stir, post haste: TF-Pro *Salt with SmartStir-for pools with SWG

You might consider the XL option. This includes all the tests you need, including the Salt test @Jimrahbe quoted.

Download POOL MATH. Now. PoolMath

Setup your pool in Pool Math, use the "Effects of adding" option to figure out how much Liquid Chlorine to add to increase FC 5ppm. Get some liquid chlorine and add 5ppm of Liquid Chlorine DAILY until you get your test kit. This will hold the algae at bay until you get your test kit.

We can help you get your pool looking like this. BUT, you need to have a good test kit, or you may do more damage than good.

Last edited:
HEY! Welcome to TFP!!! We can certainly help you. First, you can get an accurate measurement if the PUMP is running, but SWCG running or not does not matter. Second, pool store tests are notoriously wrong and inconsistent. NOT ALL are wrong inconsistent, but you don't know which store you have. Ask me why my name is pool stored. LOL.

I would order this, with smart stir, post haste: TF-Pro *Salt with SmartStir-for pools with SWG

You might consider the XL option. This includes all the tests you need, including the Salt test @Jimrahbe quoted.

Download POOL MATH. Now. PoolMath

Setup your pool in Pool Math, use the "Effects of adding" option to figure out how much Liquid Chlorine to add to increase FC 5ppm. Get some liquid chlorine and add 5ppm of Liquid Chlorine DAILY until you get your test kit. This will hold the algae at bay until you get your test kit.

We can help you get your pool looking like this. BUT, you need to have a good test kit, or you may do more damage than good.

Thanks. I’m not even sure the pump is running, or how to set it to run, other then pushing the quick clean button. Are there other tests that will work that are more affordable? $200 is a lot. So adding chlorine to a salt water pool is ok?

So adding chlorine to a salt water pool is ok?
Yes. Chlorine is the same whether generated by the salt water chlorine generator or added manually. As far as the test kit goes, it will be the best money you ever spend on your pool. Once you understand the tests (it won’t take too long, I was in the same boat 15 years ago), you’ll be in command of your pool instead of relying on someone else to tell you what to do, and oftentimes telling you the wrong thing. You’ve come to the right place.

Thanks. I’m not even sure the pump is running, or how to set it to run, other then pushing the quick clean button. Are there other tests that will work that are more affordable? $200 is a lot. So adding chlorine to a salt water pool is ok?
I AM POOLSTORED. They took me for over $1500. From what I learned here, the test cost is a pittance. I spend <5 min a day and add <$150 a year in chemicals. I will NEVER go back.

A chlorine pool is a salt pool. When I was using chlorine, it would add 1200ppm of salt per year to my pool. If you have a SWCG, it uses the salt to create chlorine. You either add liquid chlorine, or use SWCG to create chlorine.

Last edited:
I just took a look at your pictures and the SWCG appears to be off, as the check system light is on. Your pump looks like it has power, but says 0 RPM, which tells me it’s not running either, but I’m not familiar with your equipment so I could be wrong. First thing I would do is to try to find a make and model of the equipment showing 0 RPM, Google that and try to find some operating instructions. Same with your Hayward Aqua Rite system. At least you’d then understand the codes/messages. I’m sure there are people on this site familiar with the equipment, so more than likely, help is on the way, but try and get your own documentation.

K,

It appears to me that the pump is running a Schedule. It is internally scheduled to start at a specific time and run.

Have you noticed the pump running before today? Do you have any idea what time the pump normally runs?

Go push the quick clean button and tell us what happens...

Do you hear the pump running?

What does the pump's display show ?

With the pump running what does the SWCG's control panel show?

What does the filter's pressure gauge read?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Lanzz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.