Implications of installing gas heater myself?

caleyjag

Apr 13, 2020
Los Angeles
My gas pool heater is beyond busted and needs replaced.

I've reached out to pool services in my area and nobody is returning my call so far. Business must be booming I guess.

I'm interested in the viability of replacing the heater myself. My colleague and I (both engineers and hands-on inclined) think we can probably do the switch-out ourselves, but we are not licensed pool professionals.

What are the implications for warranties? What are the other pitfalls we might run into?

My pool is reasonably large so I am looking at 400,000 BTU heaters from Raypak or Pentair.

Pentair has an EC grade that has a one year warranty regardless whom installs it.

Bigger issue is if your municipality requires a permit to be pulled when working on a gas fired appliance. They might not accept the install unless done by a licensed plumber.

If you have a 400k heater now, shouldn't be an issue. If not, be sure your gas line that supplies the heater is sized for a 400. Just an FYI if you ever need help with your pump. Century Centurion is the manufacturer and model of the motor, not the pump. All pump manufacturers buy motors.

It's a pretty straightforward job as long as the existing gas service to the pool pad can handle a 400k BTU heater. Chances are, it does. Otherwise, it's just the tedious work of redoing the existing gas connections and pipe connections to mate up to the new heater.

I (DIY) put in a Raypak 406A a few weeks ago. Previously at other houses had a Mastertemp 400 and a Hayward H400. Hated them both as they sounded like jet engines, and both were also unacceptably unreliable, IMHO (with electronics failures). The Raypak is natural draft and almost completely quiet and seems to be a bit simpler in design (less stuff to break). It is considerably bigger than the Mastertemp, however. The hardest part on my job was getting the heater from the driveway to the pool pad!

I wouldn't sweat the risk of invalidating your warranty because its a DIY job. The chances of the heater failing within the 1 year warranty period are slim. Your DIY $ savings would easily cover any potential failed part, especially in this environment. As for permits, I wouldn't sweat that either, unless you have a neighbor you worry would turn you in...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.