Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Since my IC40 started up it has consistently measured salinity ~500ppm under the Taylor drop test. It hasn’t been an issue until now as the pool builder dumped too much salt in at the start up. I also thought the variance would narrow as the water warmed up.

As it’s slowly come down with lots of rain and overflow, it finally bit me.

We went on vacation and I checked the pool chemicals before we left, then bumped up the cell to a bit higher percentage just in case. The cell read 2800 at the time vs 3400 for the Taylor and I didn’t think anything of it. By the time we got back from vacation the cell was reading low salt and the Fc in the pool had dropped to 1.0 with a cya of 70.

I managed to catch the very beginning of an algae issue and a SLAM took care of it (passed two OCLT). Added more salt and cell is happy again.

But it still reading 600ppm too low, and to keep it happy means having a salt level the family can definitely taste.

I tested the thermistor per the FAQ here and it returned an accurate temp reading, so I’m at a loss.

Is a 600ppm difference too much? And if so what could be going on with the cell if the thermistor is returning an accurate temperature?

If I need to make a warranty claim, can I call Pentair directly? My PB says everything must go through him but I’m leery of that because I don’t want to deal his “I told you so salt cells are nothing but trouble” diatribe again.

All thoughts appreciated !!!!

Brian

600 ppm is on the high side, but not terribly. It is what it is. Keep the cell happy. The primary use for the salinity test kit is to check when the cell complains it is low salt. As that can happen when the thermistor fails in the flow switch.

Once your warranty expires, install a separate thermistor. See Pentair Intellichlor ICXX SWG - Further Reading

Ok thanks
I reset my mental thinking for vacation to make sure I have more than enough salt before I leave and I’ll keep an eye on it.

It doesn’t taste too terribly strong but enough to notice.

it’s a three year warranty bundle as I understand it so it is what it is

You get rain overflow so salinity has to be monitored more closely for you. In my case, I ignore it unless I drain a lot of water from the pool. My salinity goes up over time (from fill water that evaporates and muriatic acid).

Yeah I was surprised but we got torrents or rain… It also affected my CYA … I realized that when I was wondering why I was using 5.5 ppm a day…

First year seasonal pool lessons learned I guess!!! Bring on Houston summer!!

BDY,

I think the published tolerance is 500 ppm.

I'd call Pentair direct or replace the flow switch

No offence, but are you sure of your Salt test results? It is pretty easy to be off a drop or two. One drop is 200 ppm. I see you have a speed-stir which is almost a requirement to run the salt test. In other tests, you are looking for the color to quit changing as your stopping point. With the salt test, you are looking for an instant change. As you are adding drops, you will see the color flash to a copper color and then change back to milky.. The first time it changes and stays copper, you are done. Don't keep adding drops even though the color will change.
Thanks,

Jim R.

No offense at all ever!! You guys always have the best intentions at heart.

I’ve been quitting at the very first change from yellow to red. Using 10ml and one drop of the yellow before dropping slowly. For me it’s never been a slight change…. It’s yellow…yellow…yellow… bam! … salmon….

It’s consistently been off vs the tests from
Day 1 . And consistently 500-600. I would think if I had a testing error that it would be one or two times but not all of them? Unless I’m doing the test completely wrong (admittedly could be but I’ve looked at the videos even to double check)

The speed stir is a godsend …

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.