I will not GIVE UP! (well maybe ;)

Re: I GIVE UP!

Good Morning all l- the vigil continues...This morning my FC is 32.5, still cloudy with no improvement noted yet. Please help.... Is this still in the normal range or what do I do from here. In the 8ft water, I can barely see the white drain in the bottom. Not green water - milky blue. I have held my FC numbers up over 30 for past 3 days and over 20 for past 2 weeks. No progress. This is really stubborn stuff.

Are you testing before bedtime and comparing the FC levels - is the FC holding overnight or are you still losing more than 1ppm?

Yes, based on the history/background you have provided, this is typical with a bad algae bloom. Not that that helps...sorry! :)

Just did a fc test @7:30pm - fc was 26. It was 32.5 this am and then I added another 182 oz of clorox, so the sun I guess really worked on the chlorine. Should I add another bottle now and re-read later tonight (one of the posters told me to keep it above 32) or let it sit at 26 and re-read and add as needed in the am?
Also today when I got home, there was a lot of brown sediment on the bottom in the 4ft end. I vaccumed it up as best I could. Is this dead algae falling out - or is this a bad sign? I really don't see improvement yet, I'll see what tomorrow brings.
Thanks all
Pat

Great! Now the filter should be able to start clearing up the water. Depending on you filter, it can still take several days to a week, or occasionally more, for the water to clear up. From this point on you should see a visible improvement in the water each day. Remember to keep an eye on the filter pressure and backwash/clean your filter as needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

mom&pop,

If it makes you feel any better, I had a green pool when I moved in to my house. Took about 6 weeks or so to finally get it cleaned. I felt like giving up the same way you do. I just kept at it and used the pool calculator to help determine how much of what to add. When all was said and done I went through about 30-40 bottles of bleach, but now the trouble was all worth it. Just keep at it and it will clear.

Look here as this was my pool when I got it. The first pictures of the green pool are on page 6 and then the final ones are on page 11. It is actually clearer now than the pictures on page 11.

just-getting-started-and-need-help-t17741-200.html

No improvement today. Still blue/gray with the white drains only barely visible in the 8ft water. I am beginning to question my filter. How can I assure that it is functioning properly. Pressure is about 14. I cleaned it last week with an additive/24hour rest/rinse process, and it is running 24/7. Day before yesterday, I have a brown residue over the bottom, I vacuumed it up. Very little of that yesterday. I brushed bottom and sides yesterday, but did not today as it is raining.
And now, this site is acting up on my computer. Everytime I move from one page to the other, I have to re-log-in. Do I need to change my computer settings? I don't think that I have changed anything to cause this to start happening.

I'm having a bad :rant: pool day.

To fix the site problems, first try deleting all of the cookies from this site. If that doesn't do it, try rebooting the computer.

Have you been watching the filter pressure? It should be going up steadily day by day given all the stuff I would expect it to be filtering out of the water.

Thanks Jason for your help. I never looked at the pressure readings before, so I don't have a normal baseline. Its running about 14 now with good movement from output valve. I did manually vaccum the pool this week, and seemed to be a slow process (hubby usually does it). After all I have done, the amazing thing is it never was tooo bad - I could always see bottom in 4 ft water - justb greenish cloudy to now bluish cloudy. I am baffled.

I assume when you vaccumed you do this through where the skimmer basket is. If this is the case I think there is a strainer basket close to the pump that has a lid that you can remove. You may want to check this strainer basket and make sure it is clear of all debris. I have noticed that when I manually vaccum and this gets full my water flow slows down a bit. The reason being I believe is all the debris is blocking the water from passing through and getting filtered. So give that a check and make sure it is clear and the water can flow through freely.

When I vaccum I have it hooed up to the line in the skimmer and all the garbage flows through the pipe and gets caught in the strainer basket. Whatever the basket can not hold such as small particles, flow on through and get caught by the filter.

I wanted to give up several times, but just keep at it.

Still cloudy. I put the Baracuda to work this morning. I have not been using it for fear of damage from high FC levels. I am beginning to look at replacing my filter - any suggestions. I just can not believe that it is normal for my pool to stay this cloudy after over a month of chlorination at high levels, brushing , vaccuming, testing so much that I had to buy another kit. The walls and floor are clear, no spots etc - just very cloudy water. I have recently emptied the basket at the filter (that is where I found the lizard YUK), but very little other debris. Pool surface is pretty clear, and this morning there was a little frog in the skimmer - but the rest is as clean as I can get it. I continue to wait for improvement in the water. I thought about adding some DE to my sand filter, but read that DE is carcinogenic and that concerned me - so...... I wait.
Thank you all for the many tips and encouragement.

One more question - does anyone know what "polysheen" is. A pool dealer sold a bottle to my hubby, said he was sure it would clear the pool up quickly. I read the bottle and it does not identify the ingredients - how odd is that. I don't put ANYTHING in my pool that this website doesn't sanction. For good or bad, I'm sticking with this boat!

You do not need to replace your filter. If you like, you can have your husband open up the top of the filter to check the sand - make sure it looks ok and is not channelled or anything.

This is where your patience is going to be key - Keep checking to confirm the FC is still holding overnight by reperforming the overnight test tonight (if you didn't do one last night/today).

It takes longer for sand filters to clear up dead algae. You don't need products like Polysheen, whatever the heck that is :wink:

I know that you've been going at this for some time but honestly I don't think you actually killed the algae until 2 days ago - it can take up to a week for a sand filter to clear up the after affects of a bad bloom.

Despite the fact that you had the chlorine at what you considered 'high' levels - you weren't actually peforming the shock process correctly until until last Thursday or so.

So have some POP - stay the course you are doing great. You should see visible improvement each day.

There are a couple of things you can try if you want. One, you can turn the filter off and see if the dead stuff settles on the floor and then VERY SLOWLY vacume to waste, but this will waste alot of water.

The other option is adding a little DE to the sand filter - instructions are in pool school. But I would give it a full week, that's 5 more days, before you try something additional.

Go ahead and have your husband check the sand though, if you haven't opened it up yet during this process.

Polysheen is a clarifier. The official name is Bioguard Polysheen Blue. The MSDS doesn't list any hazardous materials so there's no ingredients listed. Since we don't know what's in it I wouldn't recommend putting it in your pool.

As FPM said, POP is what's needed now. Have you been watching the pressure on your filter? Sorry if you posted it and I missed it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.