I opened my pool for the first time in 2years

I forgot to mention I was hoping to have this done in a week.

I wish you the best on this but I suggest you dial back your expectations a little. After waiting 2 years it's unrealistic to expect a one week turn around. That's why pool stores do such a booming business, they prey on unrealistic expectations (with magic $$$$$$ potions).

If you want the quickest success; follow the TFP recommendations to the letter and do not short-cut anything. It's really important to do this right if you want to resolve quickly and inexpensively.

.....and do not set foot in a pool store for the duration...:p

Alright found it.
$81 and this is a better deal? I am guessing I will be saving on chemicals? (hoping)

The TF-100 XL is more like the larger K-2006C in terms of the important reagent quantities so I would say yes, better deal :

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Servic..._sbs_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZQ7HE20DDTCDVN1WMWA

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

I went with a K-2006 (TF can't ship test kits to Canada) and have had to order a couple of additional reagents already.

EDIT -- is it worth adding a column to the test kit comparison for the XL option ?

Alright KissFrog. Great info. I have COPD and all of this made me go back to bed (the reason all of this happened in the first place) that and denial.
Going to get busy. Grandson and I will be raking with leaf rake and pump off for as many times as we can in the next 24 hours. No chemicals yet right?
What should I plan on having on hand once there is no more sludge coming out of the pool?

IMHO, The TF-100 is a bit of $$$ but you will also be saving money in not having to drive to the pool store to get your water tested. At almost four bucks a gallon the test kit doesn't look so expensive and can pay for itself while keeping your pool clear and blue.

You don't need to order CYA / stabilizer from amazon unless you just can get to Walmart or HomeDepot or .... They should carry it on the shelf. http://www.homedepot.com/p/HTH-4-lb-Stabilizer-and-Conditioner-61316/100239944 This is just the HTH product but there are others too.
If you need baking soda for raising pH Walmart among others will have that on hand too so no need to stock up. It would be in a 12lb bag with the pool stuff. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arm-Hammer-Baking-Soda-192-oz/17043412

I would just rake without the pump on. Less circulation and whatever you miss with the rake and stir up will settle back sooner. Rake until you don't get anything and remember anything you pull out makes the SLAM faster, easier and cheaper as you won't need as much bleach. Once you aren't getting anything in the rake and that might take a day or two or three depending on when your arms or patience give out then I'd vacuum and brush and run the pump to try and catch whatever you loosen. Once the big stuff is out with the rake try to brush at least once daily and pull your ladder if you have one and scrub it good especially checking under each step and if you have a light pull it and clean the niche.
It's just so much easier to vacuum once you've pulled out the big stuff and don't have to empty the skimmer basket every minute or two.

I am all for inexpensively. Just a little taken aback because I was in search of inexpensive when I found you folks and within a a few minutes I am hearing of a must have $81 kit. Just have to go slow and process as it comes. Yes I will be dialing back expectations now. At the onset of pool openings I am used to spending about $200-$300 for start of chemicals. Can I get the products I need for less than that doing it this way?

I wish you the best on this but I suggest you dial back your expectations a little. After waiting 2 years it's unrealistic to expect a one week turn around. That's why pool stores do such a booming business, they prey on unrealistic expectations (with magic $$$$$$ potions).

If you want the quickest success; follow the TFP recommendations to the letter and do not short-cut anything. It's really important to do this right if you want to resolve quickly and inexpensively.

.....and do not set foot in a pool store for the duration...:p

I would start looking around your local stores to find the cheapest liquid chlorine available. Your going to need a lot of it. Here is a calculator that will help you quickly do the math on whats the best bang for your buck when it comes to chlorine. http://poncatechsquad.com/Dan/Chlorine/

Most of your funds will be going to chlorine and the whole reason the TFP method works well is because of the accurate results you need from your kit. I believe the TF-100XL kit will last you more than one season as well. In the beginning it may seem like your constantly cleaning/backwashing/adding chlorine/testing way more than you might like, but once the SLAM process is complete its pretty smooth sailing from there. I typically check the pool once an evening which takes about 5 minutes to test and add (if any) chlorine.

So far this season in total I have spent around $125 on a couple boxes of baking soda and the rest liquid chlorine.

oh wow that is amazing. So when you say liquid chlorinE can you tell me specifically what you are getting? Bleach from the supermarket or whAT?

I would start looking around your local stores to find the cheapest liquid chlorine available. Your going to need a lot of it. Here is a calculator that will help you quickly do the math on whats the best bang for your buck when it comes to chlorine. http://poncatechsquad.com/Dan/Chlorine/

Most of your funds will be going to chlorine and the whole reason the TFP method works well is because of the accurate results you need from your kit. I believe the TF-100XL kit will last you more than one season as well. In the beginning it may seem like your constantly cleaning/backwashing/adding chlorine/testing way more than you might like, but once the SLAM process is complete its pretty smooth sailing from there. I typically check the pool once an evening which takes about 5 minutes to test and add (if any) chlorine.

So far this season in total I have spent around $125 on a couple boxes of baking soda and the rest liquid chlorine.

oh wow that is amazing. So when you say liquid chlorinE can you tell me specifically what you are getting? Bleach from the supermarket or whAT?

yes bleach... unscented regular bleach, make sure it's 8.25% or higher, if it's not labeled with a percentage it's probably too low. wal-mart has it, since your in GA I'm not sure if you have Aldi or other stores here in Florida, hopefully GA folks can tell you.

I have a store called American Sale by me, its a pool store which sells all things outdoors. They have Liquid Chlorine 12.5% sodium hypochlorite, for $9.96 for 4 gallons. Clorox Bleach as you may already know is sodium hypochlorite @ 8.5% strength. As you can see it will take a little more Bleach to do the same thing as the 12.5% chlorine. It really depends on the price and the quantity your getting, that calculator will help you make the best decision when buying in bulk.

Previously before finding American Sale, I was buying it at Sam's Club. It was 3 121 Oz bottles for $9. So if you have a costco or a Sam's club where they have that in bulk, that might be a good place to start.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It really depends on the water balance. You may need all the above or you may need next to nothing except chlorine. I would wait before shelling out cash for stuff you may or may not use. If your giddity with anticipation, you can go outside and get real familiar with all your equipment, check your return eyeball jets, remove debris from the pool, or continue reading the Pool School in the top right hand corner. You can start searching on this forum how to properly use your test kit, so that when it comes you will already be familiar with what your getting.

The only thing you need for sure is bleach. Lots of it. The rest is entirely dependent on your test results.

You need to read more Pool School and about the SLAM procedure. Read ALL of Pool School. That's the only way it's going to make sense.

I would wait for the kit unless you are far away from a Walmart, HomeDepot, Menards ..... The stuff is on the shelf.
I balked at the kit too but in the long run you won't know how you managed without it. That and what you save using inexpensive, readily available chemicals like baking soda instead of pH UP, muriatic acid instead of pH Down, bleach instead of "shock" or whatever you're using now ... that TF-100 test kit will look cheap compared to the two 20-40 dollar bottles of BioGard algaecide the pool store will sell you to "try" and see if it works.
If you follow this method and maintain your pool there is no "try", it works and you know why and how.

You can always stand at your stairs and take a picture downward to record the "before" and as we go we can count the steps as they slowly come into focus and "see" the color change. :whoot:

Alright did my first shift of dredging the bottom. Got a lot of stuff out. Brushed sides. Pump off and will be dredging again in the morning. Not going to buy anything but bleach and wait for test kit. I think it is priority shipping so hopefully it will be here Friday.
Thanks to all the good folks for help and I will give an update tomorrow:bowdown::bowdown:

Alright did my first shift of dredging the bottom. Got a lot of stuff out. Brushed sides. Pump off and will be dredging again in the morning. Not going to buy anything but bleach and wait for test kit. I think it is priority shipping so hopefully it will be here Friday.
Thanks to all the good folks for help and I will give an update tomorrow:bowdown::bowdown:
Now you're talking!

I'd guess that each leaf rake full of leaves saves you at least one jug of bleach. Check out post 15 in this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/75138-Another-swamp-is-it-worth-it-Drain-or-gain

Hi There,

I live in Douglasville, which (as you probably know) is right next door to Dallas. I can get 121oz. jugs of 8.25% bleach for $2.95 at Dollar General. Read the labels carefully, they have two types and one of them is the much weaker 3% for $2.50. They also carry Chlorox brand but it is $3.50/gal. I'm not sure if that is the cheapest around, but I live very close to one so it is convenient for me and it works perfectly.

I just want to add that it will take some time to get the pool cleared up, probably two weeks once you start SLAMming. However, if you stay the course and follow through, your pool will look better than it ever has before and maintenance will become super easy. I'm a perfect example of this, I check chlorine and pH daily and adjust if needed, brush and vacuum once a week. I use about two gallons of bleach per week to keep the chlorine in line and that's about it.

What area of Dallas do you live in? I can come over and help get you started with the test kit if you like.

Tad

I'm a TFPC novice and I can say with confidence the methods here DO work. My pool was green (but not a swamp) when I opened (for the first time ever) in May. It took me 5 days to clear the
pool and now my little guy helps me aerate:

qu7adyde.jpg

Since opening all I've had to do is add bleach to the pool a few times a week. The FAS/DPD reagents from TFTestkits.net was the key to my success. Hang in there, Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) does work!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.