I made a pool logger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've started adding my data - working and looking great. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I still haven't made corrections for filter type and variable/2 speed pumps. I am totally up for suggestions on how to handle them as far as how to tell when the filter needs backwashing with a vs pump. Do you initially test pressure at max speed to get a baseline? Or test multiple psi and various speeds. Cause that could be much more complicated.

I think most VS pumps have like 3 or 4 programs, maybe just the ability to list flowrate/time @ - for each program..

As for when to do the filter clean/backwashing; what I am doing (and probably wrong) is I always check the PSI on the same "program" for the VS pump.

How about just being able to pick pump type and then enter rpm? So you would set your clean psi at say 3400 rpm (or whatever rpm you test at) and then check it at that rpm. Once again I'm not familiar with how you guys run your vs pumps. So the gauge on the main page would display PSI @ 3400 RPM.

Some of the above suggestions for updates are great! Just so that some of my update requests don't fall off the radar, I still would love (in priority order):

1) Multiple pools - with a Hot tub and Pool, I need to be able to log both. Currently one pool is tracked with this app and the other pool with another app. :)
2) Charts for anything that you are testing for. These help me see what time of the year I can expect for certain chemicals to need adjustment. Also gives me a good indicator of problems trying to raise their head in the future.
3) Quick Pool Math calculators like are on FC and pH for TA, CH, and CYA. This allows me to quickly do "what ifs?" without having to go enter a target on one screen and then check another screen for the results.
4) An "Effects of Adding Chemicals" calculator like the web based Pool Math has. This is very helpful when I am going on trips and need to know if I can put a floater in for a week or two or will I need to find a neighbor to help with the pool. Here I am just being lazy and wanting all my tools in one place so that I do not have to skip around from one website to another.
5) Finally the ability to convert measurements such as oz to lbs (or vice versa). Since I have a larger pool, it is easier to work in lbs for some chemicals rather than 100's of ounces.

Again thanks for making such a great program available to us. Keep up the great work!

Wanted to add on here that I've been having some email conversations with the developer Russell, who has been absolutely awesome and responsive with poollogger.com. It has become by daily go-to calculator and activity tracker.

A few things we discussed and he addressed:

-The 'quick calculator' window was disappearing behind the keyboard on my iPhone when activated. After a bunch of troubleshooting, it turns out I was a few dot iOS versions behind, and the incremental update from Apple fixed it.
-Russell quickly implemented a fantastic "click here to add it to your chemical log" button on the quick calculator, which is AWESOME. Seriously, such a time/click saver

Other feature requests I've thought of in the past few days:

-On the iPhone, when the quick calculator is activated, can you change the default keyboard to be the number keys (like when entering a zip code on some pages) versus the full qwerty keyboard? That would make entering digits faster
-Can you create graph overlays? I'd like to better see the relationship between when I add chlorine/chemicals and the testing results the next day. I need to think about what overlays would make sense, but it would be cool to be able to do (or even just a selection field where I check off items for each axis).
-For the logs, I'd like to be able to see a graphic representations of chemicals I've added. That is, Y-axis is "oz bleach" and X-axis is "days" (for example, past 30 days, past 60 days, etc). Seeing chemical additions as a list is ok, but since I don't add things every day (sometimes every other day), I'd like to visually see that I'm adding X amount every day, or 2X amount every other day, or 3X amount after a swim-filled weekend, etc).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Absolutely love your app, especially since it's platform independent. 2 quick feature requests would be charts for each thing you're logging, and most importantly, a button you can click to take you straight to PoolMath with you're latest test results already entered. Everyone knows and trusts PoolMath, so just a quick way to import your results onto that page would be awesome.

Thank you! I'm not sure why that would be needed when it already calculates all the 'Math'. Can you explain?

Nevermind, just realized you can click the numbers to get the 'math', lol. Really need to start reading tips/help sections of stuff, lol.

I do think it would be nice to see charts of everything you've logged, not just FC, pH, CSI, and temp. That's my main reason for using this over the official PoolMath app.

On the FC calculator, can add the recommended FC range based on current CYA, and also a text box for CYA with default text being you current CYA and you can change to whatever CYA your adjusting to and it will change your recommended FC range? For instance, I'm at 20ppm CYA now, and that's what my test results show on the app. However, I just added enough to (hopefully) raise it to 40ppm. I'd like to go ahead and raise FC to that range and it'd be easier to do so in the FC calculator, rather than having to add a false test result with CYA at 40 and delete it once I test again in a few days.

Shock recommended level based on the CYA text box would be great too.

Also, showing the recommended target range in the pH calculator would be nice to.

Love how your app tries to adjust your pool to the midway point on the target range, and if you're already in the range doesn't adjust any at all. No trying to hit the mark absolutely perfect like PoolMath does.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will add them to the list. Right now I am almost done with multi-pool support. Doing lot's of testing there. Then I can focus on little stuff like this and the graphs and visual display of chemical additions. Lot's on my plate!! :)

Hi Russ. I've been seeing a large variation in CSI between Poollogger and Pool Math and think I've just discovered why. Selecting Metric in PM also changes the default temp reading to Celsius, but choosing Metric in PL does not change the default temp setting (i.e. It stays as Fahrenheit) - thus my 16C is actually being calculated as 16F. Current data is

FC: 8
CC: 0
PH: 7.2
TA: 75
CH: 225
CYA: 60
Temp: 16
Salt: 4600
CSI: -1.46

On the other hand PM reports the CSI as -1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.