I haven't taken them seriously enough - mosquitos

You're so sweet. I know how you feel. I used to get snippy more than I want to remember (can't imagine you being snippy, but then again, you ARE allowed as a human and as a mom). But I know exactly how this dad feels. Several times, I almost lost my son 8-10 years ago. I was so grateful for everyday we had that nothing mattered anymore. I noticed yesterday for the first time I felt impatient with him. I kept it in (I think), but it only took one second to remind myself of that rough period, and thankfully all the impatience evaporated. Then I talked to my pool guy today which just reinforced what I remembered yesterday. Be grateful for the good and the bad.

We've shared enough and talked enough that I know you have an amazing heart and are an terrific mom. Remember that always. And again, we are human and imperfect. But things like this help us get back on track, right?! They do for me.

Hugs,
Suz.

Thanks Suz. Hearing stories like this do put things in perspective. Don't sweat the small stuff

I just ordered the Dr. T's granules for our yard. For the past few weeks, we've even had issues with mosquitoes inside the house. In 15 years of home ownership, I can't recall ever having an issue with mosquitoes in the house (always been an issue in our yard). We've killed a bunch of them but they don't seem to completely go away. Do any of the kind folks of TFP have any ideas on how they've entered (and seemingly stayed) in the house or possible remedies? The fleshy bits of my arms and legs will thank you. :)

... Do any of the kind folks of TFP have any ideas on how they've entered (and seemingly stayed) in the house or possible remedies? The fleshy bits of my arms and legs will thank you. :)

We were having a real issue with mosquitos in the house this summer and last summer. Just by chance I noticed about 2 months ago we had a non-draining small pot with a succulent in it on the patio that always had pooling water in it. Not sure if it was from rain or the sprinkler, but I finally looked close at it and saw larvae flicking around. I dumped the water, moved the pot to a more sheltered area and we have not had more than maybe 2 mosquitos in the house since then. They are still out in the yard and we see them when we are out there and continue to need to spray repellent, but that pot was most definitely acting as a hatchery and I think it may have been the cause. So really my point here is to look around for literally ANYTHING that can hold even what would seem insignificant amounts of pooling stagnant water and ensure it stays dry.

We have been so much happier since I fixed that situation. The yellow zapper tennis racket mostly just stays in a drawer now where as it was previously a nightly ritual.

-plat

We were having a real issue with mosquitos in the house this summer and last summer. Just by chance I noticed about 2 months ago we had a non-draining small pot with a succulent in it on the patio that always had pooling water in it. Not sure if it was from rain or the sprinkler, but I finally looked close at it and saw larvae flicking around. I dumped the water, moved the pot to a more sheltered area and we have not had more than maybe 2 mosquitos in the house since then. They are still out in the yard and we see them when we are out there and continue to need to spray repellent, but that pot was most definitely acting as a hatchery and I think it may have been the cause. So really my point here is to look around for literally ANYTHING that can hold even what would seem insignificant amounts of pooling stagnant water and ensure it stays dry.

We have been so much happier since I fixed that situation. The yellow zapper tennis racket mostly just stays in a drawer now where as it was previously a nightly ritual.

-plat

Thanks for sharing. I have looked for standing water, but I guess I need to look harder. It's funny you mention the zapper; my kids got me that for Father's Day this year. Although it is incredibly satisfying when you kill something with it, I'd prefer not to need it by my side at all times.

Here is another link for another repellant to use in addition to the others. Kimkats posted this on my build thread. She's had good results:

Suz don't forget about these. We use and LOVE these.....

Amazon.com: off mosquito lamp

They work great and last for a long while. You can also get them at Walmart, Lowes, etc.

Thanks Kim!!!
Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

The link I copied from my other thread didn't paste correctly. So here is the link again from Kimkats:

Amazon.com: off mosquito lamp

Hopefully that one works!
Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

They need more bling on them for Suz to be willing to wear them...

Oh, I'm sure I can figure out some way to add bling!!!! If there's a will, there's a way!!!

Suz.

(if you guys only knew me, I am NOT a blingy-type person at all! Just with the pool!!!)

Lavender essential oil is one of the best mosquito repellents and is all natural and contains no harmful chemicals. It makes sense that listerine also works, as posted earlier, as it is mainly comprised of 4 different essential oils. Menthol, Eucalyptus, thymol and methyl salicylate. Although it's interesting that an earlier post claimed that the gold version of listenine is better - interesting because the gold version has a higher concentration of alcohol.

Bottom line - Mosquitos are attracted to the sweetest smelling people. The sweeter you smell the more they will bother you. (Note: alcohol drinkers smell sweeter because the metabolism of alcohol is a sugary by-product)

All of which has nothing to do with the original posters Pool Guy's Son. I hope he is recovering well and will soon be 'bothering' his father again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.