I hate the Taylor cya test

Jun 12, 2022
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I find that the black dot test is extremely subjective and there are so many variables that I really have no idea what my cya reading should be. How invisible should the black dot be? At what distance should I be looking from? I know that in general the Taylor tests are the gold standard, but is there another test that is maybe less subjective with results that are more clear?

On the link below, scroll down to CYA test. There are a set of photos that show what the black dot should look like. Follow the directions for how to complete the test. The vial should be at waist level and your back to the sun. If the end point is between two lines, round up to the next line. This will ensure that you err on the side of higher FC:

is there another test that is maybe less subjective with results that are more clear?

If there was, we would be using it.. :mrgreen:

In my opinion, the best test method is to fill to the first line and just glance to see if you can see the dot. If you can, fill to the next line and glace again. You keep doing this until you can't see the dot. Hold the tube at waist level.

Once you have done that a few times it become pretty repeatable.

Really, your main goal is to just make sure your CYA is not below 30 or over 100. Then to see about where you are between 30 and 100.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ugh. The test is a pain sometimes. It gets easier. I use the method explained by Jim above.

The CYA standard can help “calibrate” your eyeballs. It is just water that is always 50 CYA so you can test it and adjust how you do things or what you need to be seeing until you see 50 pretty consistently, and then test your pool water. Very inexpensive.

CYA%20EndPoint.png

Reactions: JamesW and kul
Some people report that the test becomes easier to do after they make a donation.

Seems like it should not make any difference to me, but it can't hurt to see if it works for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.