How to Increase CYA

The calcium is probably fine to let the robot mix. But brushing is good too, especially in areas the robot can’t easily reach like skimmer mouth, around lights, steps, etc. :)

Calcium chloride (and sodium chloride for what it’s worth) are safe to sit on pool surfaces, so you can broadcast/dump and then let the water do its thing to dissolve. Robots will mix it up a bit faster.

CYA isn’t safe to sit on pool surfaces, so it shouldn’t be added that way.

For CYA, and I did the stocking in front of a jet process. I did notice however, that upon squeezing the stocking, some smaller granules gathered on the pool bottom, I quickly started brushing it around until it dissolved. For that reason, I don't think it's good to squeeze stockings too much. Again, glad I have a Baracuda because it likely helped get some stuff off the bottom that didn't dissolve right away.

What about predissolving CYA in a bucket, and then just pouring the liquid into the pool? Kind of like adding calcium. Sure, CYA takes longer to dissolve, but wouldn't that work and be better than worrying about CYA granules sitting on the bottom?

What about predissolving CYA in a bucket, and then just pouring the liquid into the pool? Kind of like adding calcium. Sure, CYA takes longer to dissolve, but wouldn't that work and be better than worrying about CYA granules sitting on the bottom?
It won’t pre-dissolve. I’ve tried. It just sits in the bucket and never dissolves.

Reactions: MrLeadFoot
Best to add some and retest the next day so you do not add more than you need.
I would stay on the low end of CH if your fill water has any CH in it.
As you know, I took your advice, and, boy, am I glad I did! Poolmath called for 23 lbs. of Calcium, but after only 16 lbs. I'm at 325, which a little shy of the ideal minimum of 350. Per your suggestion of going to the low end, am I safe to assume I should leave it as is?

Also, my numbers are pretty dang good now:
FC 5
CC .5
CYA 35
CH 325
PH 7.6
TA 100

Before I started raising CYA and CH:
CYA 13
CH 178
PH 8.3
TA 93

Here are the order of steps over 8 days, and effects on TA and PH:
Day 1 - Took PH down to 7.4

Day 3 - Added CYA. Poolmath recommended 6lbs., but I only needed 4. TA went down to 80, PH stayed at 7. 4

Day 7 - Added Calcium. Poolmath recommended 23 lbs., but I only needed 16. TA went up to 100, PH went up to 7.6

At your suggestion to take things slower, I discovered that slow and steady seems to win the race here. That, and the fact that I ended up needing less of what Poolmath recommended for both CYA and CH, instead of adding the recommended 3 cups of acid to bring PH and TA down, I added only 2 cups. I will test TA and PH in 8 hours. If that is not the right thing to do, I'm all ears. Also, what would be the effects if TA were to remain a little high?

I would not add any more calcium.
Maintain pH in the 7's. The TA will follow. TA is not a significant factor in pool water chemistry. Primary issue of higher TA is scaling of a SWCG. You do not have one.

You will likely wish to raise your CYA a bit as you approach summer.

I would not add any more calcium.
Maintain pH in the 7's. The TA will follow. TA is not a significant factor in pool water chemistry. Primary issue of higher TA is scaling of a SWCG. You do not have one.

You will likely wish to raise your CYA a bit as you approach summer.
Thank you for the suggestions.

In the next couple of weeks, I'm going out of town for a few days. I was thinking of floating some pucks while I'm gone. I don't think they will completely dissolve while I am away, but is there any way to know how much they will increase CYA? I'm thinking two or three pucks can't really add any appreciable amount to a pool over 20,000 gallons, or can they?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only reason I use Leslie's is for the water tests. I've been testing with my own Taylor kit for years, but the CYA test stuff runs out quickly and is expensive to replace. I periodically compare my Taylor tests with Leslie's tests because I always thought they might be scamming people with their test result, but I've found them to be accurate and honest with their tests. I don't buy any chemicals from Leslie's, though.

Thanks for the suggestion for using dry stabilizer. Since it has to dissolve over time, I'm actually wondering if chlorine tabs might be a smart way to raise CYA, because I'd be chlorinating at the same time. I just don't know how much CYA is in tablets, and how long it takes to dissolve to the point where I'm balanced.
I tried to use tabs to add cya last year and couldn't get the CYA to be detectable for the first half of the summer - but it was also really cool last June, so it sat unused with the solar cover on and didn't need much chlorine.

I tried to use tabs to add cya last year and couldn't get the CYA to be detectable for the first half of the summer - but it was also really cool last June, so it sat unused with the solar cover on and didn't need much chlorine.
I just looked at Poolmath, and it says 1 tab will only increase CYA by about 1ppm for me, and 1.7 for you. So 10 tabs would have to completely dissolve for my pool to get to 40-45-ish. That would take a LONG time at 75 degrees, and my pool is not even close to that right now, sitting in the 60s. So, they might work well for out of town situations, but I can't believe how much they've gone up in price - a single tab is $6.50 now... wow!

Aside from tabs, is there another way to raise CYA a bit? I'd hate to have to a big bag of stablizer and only need 1 lb.
You can buy 4# bags of stabilizer.
The CYA in the pool does degrade some, especially during summer. So you will need some granular stabilizer around.

`----------``You can buy 4# bags of stabilizer.
The CYA in the pool does degrade some, especially during summer. So you will need some granular stabilizer around.
Thanks again.

I was under the impression CYA doesn't breakdown and water changes was the only way to reduce higher CYA levels. I guess that's not true, and how I ended up with such low CYA in the first place.

Will I see a noticable decrease in chlorine consumption by raising my CYA from 35 to 40 or 45?

CYA can degrade some. CYA - Further Reading

As the sun angle climbs, increasing your CYA to 50 ppm or so will help on FC loss. As you will be adding chlorine daily, track your usage in Poolmath.

CYA can degrade some. CYA - Further Reading

As the sun angle climbs, increasing your CYA to 50 ppm or so will help on FC loss. As you will be adding chlorine daily, track your usage in Poolmath.
There's always more to learn on here. When will that stop? Will I ever know everything? :rant:

Aside from needing a higher level of Chlorine should I need to SLAM, is there any other downside to 50ppm CYA vs. 35ppm? In other words, if it will save me from adding Chlorine so often, is it OK to raise to 50 now, rather than wait until the sun is higher?

Aside from needing a higher level of Chlorine should I need to SLAM, is there any other downside to 50ppm CYA vs. 35ppm? In other words, if it will save me from adding Chlorine so often, is it OK to raise to 50 now, rather than wait until the sun is higher?
It may reduce FC loss by 0.5 or 1 ppm per day, at best. You should be adding liquid chlorine every day. Especially from May to October.

It may reduce FC loss by 0.5 or 1 ppm per day, at best. You should be adding liquid chlorine every day. Especially from May to October.
That's not a lot, although every little bit helps. But, if chlorine loss reduction is not that great, what would be the purpose of increasing CYA from 35 to 50? I am already adding chlorine every day. OTCL is 1 ppm, so I lose like 2.5 per day already, and the sun doesn't yet get as high for long, as it eventually will. I add 2-3 cups of Chlorine every evening, and wish I didn't have to add EVERY day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.