How to Increase CYA

Nothing wrong. Feel free to squeeze all you want.
Omg! I almost just died when I just went out to give the sock a final squeeze for the night. I did not turn on all the outside lighting, just enough to see the sock and squeeze it. While my arm was in the water, I suddenly felt an increase in pressure on my arm from what I thought was the water from the jet. I look at my arm and a snake was slithering around it! I almost had a heart attack! Too dark to see exactly what kind, and I wasn't about to investigate in the low lighting. My pool brush was right there, so I grabbed it and scooped up the snake and winged it into the bushes. You guys didn't tell me adding CYA was so dangerous! :eek:

Yikes >.>

For me CYA is slow to dissolve because of water temp. Big difference when the heater goes on vs trying to dissolve in 50-60° water.

Almost seems like I can just continuously squeeze the bag and be done in an hour because it just keeps releasing a cloud every time I squeeze. That doesn't seem right because every post I've read here says it takes a long time to dissolve
I'm impatient so an hour *is* a long time. :)

I just hung 7 lbs in a Tshirt and let it sit for a day. The next day it squeezed/shook out in 5 mins.

If there was a snake, I would have lost a pair of pants as well.

I thought there was a limit to how much CYA you can add at one time, like 3 lbs. or something. Is that not correct?
You don’t want to overdo it because the only way to get rid of it is water exchange. So it’s better to creep up on your target.

Other than that, there’s no real restriction.

Reactions: Newdude
+1. I have a large pool. 7lbs was a small batch that only got me 25 ppm. :)

My end target will be 70 for my SWG and I started at 20 or 30 after the winter.

I thought there was a limit to how much CYA you can add at one time, like 3 lbs. or something. Is that not correct?
Nope. I get two or three socks going around the pool when I need CYA.

The limit is to do it in batches if you are not 100% sure of your calculations and pool volume. Better to be under and need to add some more then to overshoot by a lot.

Got my CYA to 35, and my Snow Joe Calcium arrived today. My CH is at 175 and POOLMATH tells me I need to add 23 lbs. to get to 270. Leslie's told me to only add 15lbs. at one time, wait 4 hours and add the rest. So, I added the 15lbs., and am waiting to add the rest. Is there any truth to that, or can you add as much calcium as you need all at once (mixing well, of course) ?

Also, how long do I need to run the pump after adding?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Best to add some and retest the next day so you do not add more than you need.
Leslie's said my target is 270, but I'm reading on here that I should ideally be at 350. I'm thinking I'm safe to add the recommended amount for 270, because even if l overshoot, I have a big enough cushion since I really should be at 350. In fact, I wish I had double-checked POOLMATH before ordering my calcium because POOLMATH says I need 50 lbs. or so but I had only ordered 25 lbs.! So, in this case, I am actually hoping for an overshoot.

All this said, is it OK to add 25 lbs. all at once?

After more thought, I think I will heed your advice. How long should I run the pump after adding the first batch so I know I'm thoroughly mixed before testing tomorrow morning?
A few hours. Be sure to brush the pool.
I would stay on the low end of CH if your fill water has any CH in it.

A few hours. Be sure to brush the pool.
I would stay on the low end of CH if your fill water has any CH in it.
My Baracuda has been going for 3.5 hours since adding. It crawls up walls, as well as scoots along the bottom. Do I still need to brush?

MY CH has always been between 290 and 309, and I think even that was a little low for my pool, yet it's really low now at 175. Could that be because of the 12 atmospheric rivers we had here from December to April?

Last edited:
Yes.

I'm confused by your answer, given the link you pointed me to. That link mentions brushing relative to regular pool maintenance, which I do periodically, but don't need to do it as much because the Baracuda kicks butt scrubbing the walls. But, I did brush this morning (added calcium this afternoon).

I was under the impression that brushing was recommended to help distribute the added calcium. So, I was thinking that because the Baracuda moves a lot of water, I wouldn't need to stir up the added calcium. Am I wrong? I don't mind being wrong; i just want to understand.

I was under the impression that brushing was recommended to help distribute the added calcium. So, I was thinking that because the Baracuda moves a lot of water, I wouldn't need to stir up the added calcium. Am I wrong? I don't mind being wrong; i just want to understand.
Brushing breaks the biofilm of any algae that might be represent, exposing algae to chlorine, killing it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.