dmorey01

Sep 9, 2021
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My husband has been extremely I’ll and in the ICU, and I’m embarrassed to say I let the pool go for at least two months. I have no idea how to get it back in shape. It’s yellow green and testing numbers are terrible. I’m scrubbing and starting to drain the pool but now I’m doubting this is the right method. Hoping I set up the math app correctly and everyone can see the most recent test results. Any advice appreciated.

I’m embarrassed to say I let the pool go for at least two months.
Life gets in the way sometimes and a family member is far more important than the pool. Head high. You've been doing exactly what you were supposed to be doing. :)
I have no idea how to get it back in shape.
SLAM Process

It's a process and not a one time thing. You should wait until you can commit the time to see the process through, if things are still hectic. You can add 5ppm a day so that it doesn't get worse in the meantime.

To not let you get too overwhelmed, here are a some points to focus on:
1- Lower the pH to about 7.2 with muriatic acid per the SLAM instructions.
2 - Test your CYA. You need that number so you can go to the FC/CYA Levels to figure out your SLAM FC level.
3 - Increase the FC to that elevated SLAM FC level and maintain it as best as you can while following the SLAM Process page.

Don't worry about TA and CH right now. We'll coach you through this.

If it helps .........

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Some people like to squirt enough solution to go line-by-line for a better feel. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

Thanks for the advice. Should I drain the pool halfway and refill afterward, or can I start filling at the same time? I stopped doing the cya test months ago because even after doing it dozens of times I got wildly different results day to day and had no confidence it was performed correctly. Watched a bunch of videos, but it didn’t help. Not really sure I’ll be successful with slamming as a result.

So I think I’ve got the hang of cya testing now but the problem is that I can still see that black dot when the beaker is totally full. Does that mean it’s actually way too low?

Thanks. I drained a foot from the pool and half the spillover spa. Refilling and adding muriatic acid for ph. Does that mean I can start the slamming process as soon as I get a decent ph result? Assuming the ph adjustment must be done before starting the slam process?

Thanks. I drained a foot from the pool and half the spillover spa. Refilling and adding muriatic acid for ph. Does that mean I can start the slamming process as soon as I get a decent ph result? Assuming the ph adjustment must be done before starting the slam process?
Also adding cyanuric acid too shortly unless I need to wait. My neighbor is annoyed and I’m afraid they will contact the hoa so I’m trying to get this done asap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does that mean I can start the slamming process as soon as I get a decent ph result?
Did the CYA test come from only the old pool water or had you been filling also ? It takes a while to mix and your low CYA could be from the hose if so.

The test was only pool water, before I turned on the hose.
Ok GREAT. What's the PH of the hose water? Many gallons of it will likely foul your adjustment up if you dose now.

And it will dilute the CYA further, messing up the SLAM target.

Fill and mix well, adjust CYA (if below 30) and PH, then full SLAM ahead.

Hose water ph is 7.8. Pool water ph is testing at 7.8 after 5.5 cups of muriatic acid. I also added 32 oz of cyanuric acid for the cya. I can still see the black dot when the tube is completely full. Keep adding both and wait to slam?

Hose water ph is 7.8. Pool water ph is testing at 7.8 after 5.5 cups of muriatic acid.
Ok so that will stay fairly 7.8-y. How long until it's filled ?
I also added 32 oz of cyanuric acid for the cya.
Ok so +15 there if it was granuals. It may take a day or two to register.

Ok then. I figured filling would take longer. Lol. Lower the PH and fire when ready. (y) Your choice if you want to use 20 or 30 CYA as the SLAM target. If it doesn't register in 2 days we'll add more and then it will be a 30 for sure.

Screenshot_20230327_210207_Chrome.jpg

Thanks! I filled with multiple hoses. My house came with multiple hoses on each side of the house, lol. And it just started pouring rain, which I’m guessing won’t help. Looks like rain until midnight tonight, then rain this weekend. Will that foul it up? So wait to start until ph is 7.6? Do I need to wait until tomorrow to run the tests again, or can I test tonight for a good number? Then put in slam level 12 if the cya doesn’t go up? Just making sure I know what to do.

Looks like rain until midnight tonight, then rain this weekend. Will that foul it up?
It will make you wet. The pool is already wet. :)
So wait to start until ph is 7.6?
7.2 is preferred. If you dose and it comes out at 7.4, that's close enough.
Do I need to wait until tomorrow to run the tests again, or can I test tonight for a good number?
PH needs 15 minutes to mix. CYA needs a day or maybe 2.
Then put in slam level 12 if the cya doesn’t go up?
If you want to be conservative, SLAM at 10 FC (for 20 CYA). We will adjust it to 30 if it doesn't show up soon.

Or to be slightly aggressive, SLAM at 12 FC (for 30 CYA) figuring you had some CYA left and added 15 more. We will adjust it soon enough if it isn't already 30.

Reactions: Kaylee34
Okay, ph is down to 7.2. Going to start the slam. I’m surprised it only says to add 242 oz, when I would usually add around a gallon when my pool was well maintained? Does that number sound right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.