How many pumps do I need for an inground gunite spa

Sparkyandpeewee

Jun 21, 2023
Phoenix Arizona
Hi
We have an existing pool and adding a separate inground jacuzzi. Working with a pool builder that is telling me:
because we have 11 jets we need 2 pumps
I say how many is standard? Replies 8
ok make it 8
comes back and says because I want 2 levels is why I need 2 pumps??
feeling like they are scamming me

on our contract he upgraded us to Hayward 430 filter
tristar 950/ 2.8 variable pump/must upgrade plumbing/charged me to upgrade plumbing if run exceeds 40 feet to 3 inch

can I not have that many jets with this equipment and does it make a difference if I have 2 levels,

my pool equipment is totally separate
loosing my patience with the “engineer”
Thanks in advance
Judy & Chris

Welcome to TFP.

Your builder is trying to give you good advice without taking you through the complexities of Hydraulics 101.

Please read Spa Jet Design in Equipment Pad Best Practices - Further Reading

To get a strong spa experience from a jet you need around 15GPM of flow.

11 jets would require a pump to output 165 GPM. 8 jets would require a pump to output 120 GPM.

120 GPM is about the maximum you can get from a typical 3+HP pool pump. And even that can be optimistic depending on the way the plumbing is done.

So your builder is trying to direct you so that you do not come back and complain about weak spa flow. Over design is better then under design for customer satisfaction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.