How many hours?

Total run time varies according to temperature (automated with home weather station).

This week (over 100 degrees every day :shock: ) it has been 11 hours split into three run times at low speed, 11PM - 2AM, 4AM - 7AM, and 10 AM- 3 PM.

So far this works, pool is very clear.

I'd have to agree with Jason, it's all about turn over time. I used the 1 hour per 10 degrees last year and that was fine. this year I scaled back my run time by about 2 hours because of my pump and filter performance and have crystal clear water still. I certainly don't see a need for a 24-7 operation unless you own stock in your local power company.

We run ours at least 15 hours per day. If our cc reading gets close to .5, we run it it for about two days straight and that lowers the value.

Just got our electric bill a couple of days ago....$410. OMG!!!!! We are going to start running the filter less, even though it makes me nervous that we could get algae. I'm sure that with a little trial & error we'll figure out long is really necessary for our pool.

I run my pool filter about 10 hours per day. From 8AM to about 6PM. I have a water falls and I like to hear the water running. Night time is only running if we have guests, so the water falls is working.

I also leave Mr. Hayward (our Hayward bottom creeper cleaner) in there most of the time too. I don't like seeing junk on the bottom. It's a real turnoff for guests and I feel that way too.

Great topic.

I have been running 24x7 for the last month and a half or so after I cut the electrical line :hammer: (that's a whole nother story for a different day :rant: :blah: ) and needed to rig the pump up feeding from an outlet as opposed to the hard-wired timer setup. So far I haven't gotten around to fixing the line, however the electric bill I just opened was over $700 :shock: for the month...went to store today to buy supplies to fix the wiring and timer :grrrr: .

Interesting that I came across this thread. I just got my latest electric bill and it was an astonishing $472.00. Needless to say, I looked at my filter manual and it says that it will turn over 34,000 gallons in 6 hrs. I have cut my run time back from 10 hrs to 7 hrs. That should filter the entire pool just over twice per day. I will run it from 10am - 5pm, which is the hottest part of the day, and hopefully I won't see any ill efeects from it.

h2o said:
Interesting that I came across this thread. I just got my latest electric bill and it was an astonishing $472.00. Needless to say, I looked at my filter manual and it says that it will turn over 34,000 gallons in 6 hrs. I have cut my run time back from 10 hrs to 7 hrs. That should filter the entire pool just over twice per day. I will run it from 10am - 5pm, which is the hottest part of the day, and hopefully I won't see any ill efeects from it.

Manuals are amazing things.... :mrgreen: How come we don't read them more often? (I'm still running my 7 year old filter 24/7 on low... :oops: )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finally have my Pentair VF pump running where I want it. It's pumping 31 gal a min and using 275 watts.

I'm leaving it run 24/7 with the chlorine pump also running 24/7. The chlorine pump is putting out about .6 GPD.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.