How many returns?

Gravity02

Oct 15, 2023
Hi everyone,
I am building my first pool and in the plumbing stage. I'm not sure if my builder has the returns in the right place, 7 around and 2 in the bottom for a total of 9 returns
My main concern is things getting caught in the corners.
I'm looking for advise on where and how many returns to have.
Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20231015_154234.jpg
    20231015_154234.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to TFP.

1 skimmer is too little. You should have 2.

9 returns is excessive. 3 to 4 plus one main drain on the floor is all you need.

Placement of skimmers and returns depends on the direction of the prevailing winds around the pool.

Where did your builder plan to place the returns?

The builder planned for two returns on the opposite end of the skimmer, two on the Caribbean shelf, tow on the opposite side of the Caribbean shelf, one on the corner above the steps, to the left of the skimmer, and two at the bottom by the deep end.
The wind blows SE towards the corner where the steps are.

FWIW, my pool is 16x40 and I have 6 returns which is pretty good compared to most. I have 4 returns on one end directly opposite from the skimmer, then 2 additional jets on that same end but from the side. No drain. A few jets for the pool and a couple in the shelf area should suffice. As noted above, wind direction is your best friend (or enemy). Try to use that to your advantage as jets will never really push everything to a skimmer as you might hope. Good luck!

Another way to keep debris from getting into the corners is to have the Shotcrete crew “fish bowl “ all the corners. I have this done on all my projects that have straight lines, even on the steps.
The top 18” or so are at a perfect 90 degrees and then the crew will start to fish bowl or give a radius to the corners so at the bottom of the pool it’s round and the pool sweep will not get stuck and will have an easier time getting any debris out of that area and best of all when standing on the deck looking downwards you can’t tell that it’s a radius below the surface.

My neighbor suggested that I go with as many as 14 returns. Based on his experience he advised to place them where the green dots are placed

Let's put some data behind these opinion of your neighbor.

You may run your filter pump between 10 and 50 GPM. With 14 returns at 10 GPM each return will be flowing 0.7 GPM. Just a trickle.

At 50GPM the 14 returns will be flowing about 3.5 GPM. Hardly enough pressure to push water very far across the pool towards the one skimmer.

Surface winds effect the flow of debris much more then the return water flow does.

With 3 returns at 50 GPM you have over 15 GPM of water pressure from each return pushing the water towards the skimmer.

And it is much better to have two skimmers with each flowing 25 GPM to the pump then trying to get one skimmer to handle 50 GPM.

A large number of returns are not the right answer. You need to balance the expected flow between the skimmers and returns.

Draw me a picture of how you expect the water to flow with your 9 returns or your neighbors 14 returns based on the expected flows and pressures?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see your point in being balanced and not having to many returns for a good flow rate.
I am considering adding a second skimmer.
This drawing shows the returns where my builder suggested, I added the projected flow.
I am concerned about the areas I circled in green with not having any flow in those areas.

Based on my pool shape and size, where would be the ideal location for each return to avoid dead spots. Are the deep end returns recommended?

Attachments

• 20231015_154234~9.jpg
    20231015_154234~9.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 6
Couple of other points. Where is your house or patio that you will be sitting at? It is best to have lights on the wall nearest your sitting area and shine away from the sitting area.

I see you have gunite bar stools - it will be hard to clean debris around those. I was in a VRBO home that had removal bar stool. They had 4 fittings in the bottom of the pool and the bar stool pole would fit into it. It was like having an umbrella holder but it was at bottom of pool. This allowed the bar stools to be removed or if you only needed 2 or 3 then just use what is needed.

The returns on opposite sides of the pool basically cause a dead zone in the middle of the pool and rely on the skimmer to create sufficient suction to pull the debris. Wind also causes more movement of surface debris than a skimmer. This is why having 2 skimmers are important (not only as a backup if one becomes disabled)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.