Houston, TX Pool Build Diary - From Design to Dive-In

I must have misread your other thread Patio, Koi Pond Outdoor Kitchen Build in Houston and thought you planted the loquat from post 17. Like you, we have had to deal with existing plantings although we made the hard choice to remove three mature queen palms when we got two hard winters in a row in 13 and 14.

Ahh, no actually you read that right. We did plant it, but we did it as part of the patio project. We didn't have the pool design that time. So it was "existing" in the sense that when we chose the spot for the spa, the loquat was already there.

In hindsight I wish we had done a total design concept with the patio that included the pool. Would have saved us a few minor issues...

plat.

Plat, I had to do a 180 and read your thread for Supplemental information before I understood the 360 of your last post. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the Complementary reply!

plat.

- - - Updated - - -

OK,OK, OK... LOL!

Who knew geometry humor would play so well on troublefreepool?

I'm here all week, remember to tip your waitress. Thank you!!

plat.

Ahh, no actually you read that right. We did plant it, but we did it as part of the patio project. We didn't have the pool design that time. So it was "existing" in the sense that when we chose the spot for the spa, the loquat was already there.

In hindsight I wish we had done a total design concept with the patio that included the pool. Would have saved us a few minor issues...

plat.

Regardless, your oasis is fantastic. Congratulations!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have to do something since you aren't posting any pool build pics! :hammer: LOL!

I know, I know.... I've been slacking. Plus we're in a lull right now so there is not much new worth posting. Our builder had an out of town job he had to do last week and so it's been quiet other than the masons leveling out everything in prep for coping and tile.

Here is the CMU wall the masons put up. This was before the leveling work. The spa is much squarer now with less blemishes where the gunite got bumped and dinged. Our builder explained this process of refinement to us back before we started. Each step getting things more cleaned up so that final plaster really squares things up.

plat.

I know, I know.... I've been slacking. Plus we're in a lull right now so there is not much new worth posting. Our builder had an out of town job he had to do last week and so it's been quiet other than the masons leveling out everything in prep for coping and tile.

Here is the CMU wall the masons put up. This was before the leveling work. The spa is much squarer now with less blemishes where the gunite got bumped and dinged. Our builder explained this process of refinement to us back before we started. Each step getting things more cleaned up so that final plaster really squares things up.

plat.

Everything in your build is so unique compared to what I'm used to seeing on here. Seriously neat Plat.

Thank you all for the kind feedback. Truly!

I took a LOT of inspiration from many elements I found here on the forum in other builds, plus many of the core features were all influenced by what others have done (bench depths, ideas on lighting, sun shelf sizing, etc..).

Things are moving slowly still. Was hoping the builder would be here today to review a few things but he never made it by. We did get our coping delivery so I guess we'll be getting that installed pretty soon which is exciting.

Baby steps....

plat.

So just some updates.

We have some but not all coping on now. The masons also have added a skim coat to all the raised walls. The big one at the back end of the pool still needs to get extended out about another 4 or 5 feet and there will be another planter there as well. You can see the cardboard tubes they just installed for the piers that will support it.

They also started applying some kind of yellowish epoxy coat to all surfaces that will be getting glass tile it looks like. I'll have to ask the builder what this is.

They put up a sample of waterline tile on gray thinset so we could see the difference from white. They had to take the original white sample down though so we'll need to have one put back up to do a side by side. The gray does seem to make the iridescence really pop. The white was more subtle and I think we like the white better, but we'll wait to see.

And then lastly, as I mentioned in another thread discussing RiverFlow swimjets, our big 12" return line is not square to the wall it is coming out of. It's got a slight angle towards the pool back wall (pointing to the right a bit when you face it). We didn't see it until the protective plastic had been taken off several days after gunite. We pointed it out to the builder and he recognizes this is a problem and said it will get fixed. Not sure what the plan is but I'll post more on this one once it is resolved.

plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.