Hot tub empty/drained.

Lbremer

Apr 28, 2024
Houston, Texas
Came home today to find water in hot tub completely drained. Water is just spraying out of the hot tub jets. Pool level is normal. What problem should I be looking for? I assume there is something wrong with valves or pumps.

Pentair pumps / controllers if that matters. Pool is about 5 years old and this has never happened before.

Welcome to TFP.

There is a first time for everything.

Yeah, check the valves and pumps. Since we don't know what you got we cannot be more specific.

Show us pics of your equipment pad and your hot tub and maybe we will see something awry.

What Pentair control system do you have for your pool/spa?

Came home today to find water in hot tub completely drained. Water is just spraying out of the hot tub jets. Pool level is normal. What problem should I be looking for? I assume there is something wrong with valves or pumps.

Pentair pumps / controllers if that matters. Pool is about 5 years old and this has never happened before.
Sounds like someone flipped the tiny toggle switch on the suction actuator and it is in "spa" position. Flip it the other way and all should be good.

It is Pentair Easytouch.

I don't know where the suction actuator toggle switch is located. Assuming it is the little switch on the back of the pictured valve, it was in the middle "off" position. When I toggle it up or down, the valve would either close the spa suction or the skimmer suction. I think the position pictures is where it has always been in though. Although my pool service company did come today, so maybe they did something (I joined this forum because I want to fire them and learn to do all the pool stuff myself).
IMG_5076 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Show us pics of your entire equipment pad please.

The pics need to be large and in focus so we can read labels.

It is Pentair Easytouch.

I don't know where the suction actuator toggle switch is located. Assuming it is the little switch on the back of the pictured valve, it was in the middle "off" position. When I toggle it up or down, the valve would either close the spa suction or the skimmer suction. I think the position pictures is where it has always been in though. Although my pool service company did come today, so maybe they did something (I joined this forum because I want to fire them and learn to do all the pool stuff myself).
View attachment 569181
Switch should not be in the middle, but one of the other two. That picture looks like your return valve, not the suction. Usually that is the normal "pool" position if that is the return line.

The suction actuator should not be sitting part open to the spa and part open to the pool. This is draining the spa.

In POOL mode spa should be shut and all water should come from the pool.

You said the toggle switch on this actuator was in the middle and OFF.

Show us where the handle rotates to when you flip the toggle both ways.

img_5079-jpeg.569249

Put the toggle in UP position 1 and your problem is fixed.

In POOL mode all suction comes from the pool and your have a SPA RETURN line on the pool return that keeps your spillover running.

What Pentair controller do you have? EasyTouch? IntelliTouch? IntelliCenter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like you have the spa spillover running the entire time in POOL mode. That causes aeration which causes your pH to rise more rapidly which requires more frequent acid additions to lower the pH.

Are you aware of SPILLWAY mode that you can schedule on your EasyTouch and not run your spillover all the time?

It looks like you have the spa spillover running the entire time in POOL mode. That causes aeration which causes your pH to rise more rapidly which requires more frequent acid additions to lower the pH.

Are you aware of SPILLWAY mode that you can schedule on your EasyTouch and not run your spillover all the time?
I am not familiar with Spillway mode. The pool has always run that way. I don't find the Pentair EasyTouch very intuitive. It is unclear to me how I even activate SPILLWAY mode. I will have to investigate.

Why? What should I do instead?

If you must use tablets put them in a floater in the pool.

Otherwise chlorinate the pool with Liquid Chlorine or a SWG.

What is your CYA level? Tablets will eventually cause too high a CYA level.

CYA seems to be around 70.

You don't want it to get much higher then that.

TriChlor releases a 2:1.2 ratio of FC to CYA.

TriChlor is 10 ppm FC and 6 ppm CYA, no matter the brand. The only thing different is when they take a cheap chemical such as baking soda and put it with the triclor, so you get less FC and CYA with it for more money.

If you have 1000 gallons of water and add 1.5 ounces of TriChlor you will get 10 ppm FC and 6 ppm CYA. If you have 25,000 gallons of water and add 36 ounces of TriChlor you will get 10 ppm FC and 6 ppm CYA. If you have 500,000 gallons of water and add 46 lbs of TriChlor you will get 10 ppm FC and 6 ppm CYA.

The ratio never changes. 5:3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support