Hot Spring Moto-massage leak (drain pipe)

tommyemartin

Bronze Supporter
Apr 29, 2023
Hudson Valley, New York
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
It appears that a common leak problem with these hot tubs in the drain line in the cavity of the Moto-massage unit. Apparently inferior plastic and hose tension cause the plastic nipple that the hose slides onto to break. (see picture). Easy to get to if you jack up hot tub and cut a 6 inch by 6 inch hole in the foam. I fixed mine by simply putting self threaded screw in both the hose and the broken nipple hole into the cavity with some epoxy for added insurance. Figured if I ever need to drain/winterize the spa I will just suck the water out with a siphon. My model is a jetsetter but several models have this massage unit.

Attachments

• spaleak2.jpg
    spaleak2.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 38
Apparently inferior plastic and hose tension cause the plastic nipple that the hose slides onto to break. (see picture).
Don't forget shrinking spray foam pulling on the hose. The plastic is no more inferior than any in a spa, but the "non-shrinking foam" does not live up to the hype. It's a problem for many brands.

fixed mine by simply putting self threaded screw in both the hose and the broken nipple hole into the cavity with some epoxy for added insurance.
That's not fixed, as now you have a freeze hazard that can crack the whole jet if you drain it during winter. Removing the water at closing does not stop this upward-angled jet from accumulating more from condensation/leaking cover. You have stopped the leak, but created a new problem to deal with. I'd fill the jet cavity with rtv antifreeze to be safe, though even that is no guarantee.

Reactions: Texas Splash
It appears that a common leak problem with these hot tubs in the drain line in the cavity of the Moto-massage unit. Apparently inferior plastic and hose tension cause the plastic nipple that the hose slides onto to break. (see picture). Easy to get to if you jack up hot tub and cut a 6 inch by 6 inch hole in the foam. I fixed mine by simply putting self threaded screw in both the hose and the broken nipple hole into the cavity with some epoxy for added insurance. Figured if I ever need to drain/winterize the spa I will just suck the water out with a siphon. My model is a jetsetter but several models have this massage unit.
Hey Tommy, any luck with your fix? What did your MM compartment look like from the inside? Were you able to identify any visible damage? Did it look like this by any chance?

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpeg
    IMG_0502.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 10
Hey Tommy, any luck with your fix? What did your MM compartment look like from the inside? Were you able to identify any visible damage? Did it look like this by any chance?
The inside was fine as the break was on the underside. As far as winterizing I keep the spa at 103 all winter so not fearing any freeze situation. If I do have to drain it or shut id down for any reason I am mindful of having to do more that usual - the RV anti-freeze in the cavity is a good idea after I suck out whatever water I can. The plugged line will be air locked and even if condensation in it it is flexible.

Tom

Hey Tommy, Thanks for this write up. Unfortunately, I found it AFTER I spent way too much time finding the leak. When I came upon the MM drain line, it popped off the drain way too easily. I THOUGHT i had found the problem but wasn't quite sure. After finding this thread, I feel alot better about filling it again and not destroying my landlord's deck with a constant drip. Freezing is not going to happen, because my wife and I plan on using it a couple times per week and keeping it at 103, and if we lose power, it's LA, where it never gets lower than 50. Thanks.