High Salt in a Non SWCG pool

denniswiseman

Bronze Supporter
Nov 27, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi all

Because of constant use of sodium hypochlorite my salt level has risen to that of a SWCG pool
Also my pool is covered with no UV burnoff my CYA is about 20 with no problems as recommended by Chem Geek
Should I raise my CYA, or is the higher CYA only for a SWCG pool and not relative to the salt in the pool
I've been pondering this for a while and feel that there may be similar people with the same situation

Dennis:

How long have you been at this to rise your pool to salt water levels? Recently, I switched over to SWG and my levels were at 1,400. This is after about 3 years of liquid chlorine for 5 months each season. Therefore, you would have to be at this for at least double the time, if not more or had a lot of activity and no displacement of water.

If you do not have a salt cell plumbed in, then you do not need to raise your CYA. The minimum you should keep CYA is at around 30. Your levels at 20 will still work, but you may burn off a little more chlorine during hotter days. Anything less should be avoided.

The higher CYA level has to do with the SWG system, not the salt in the pool. It has to do with how the system produces chlorine and preventing the chlorine from burning off in the sun. As you have no sunlight to worry about then keeping your CYA low is preferable, even if you were running an SWG.

Out of curiosity what is your exact salt level and what did you use to measure it? Also what prompted you to measure it in the first place?

The higher CYA level has to do with the SWG system, not the salt in the pool. It has to do with how the system produces chlorine and preventing the chlorine from burning off in the sun. As you have no sunlight to worry about then keeping your CYA low is preferable, even if you were running an SWG.

Out of curiosity what is your exact salt level and what did you use to measure it? Also what prompted you to measure it in the first place?

I used the Aquachek strips first and got a reading of 2500 but I also purchased a refractometer after which read 4000
I was concerned about how much salt was in after prolonged use of sodium hypochlorite and whether I should do a partial drain and refill

I used the Aquachek strips first and got a reading of 2500 but I also purchased a refractometer after which read 4000
I was concerned about how much salt was in after prolonged use of sodium hypochlorite and whether I should do a partial drain and refill
I'm pretty sure that the refractometer will measure all solids in the water, not just the salt.

The best way to measure salt levels is with the Taylor K-1766.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.