High phosphate’s

JC327

Jun 13, 2023
Newyork
First time posting on any type of pool forum I’m not sure if I’m posting in the right spot phosphates are food for algae so this forum probably was the best spot for my question It’s actually the first time I had really High phosphate levels.

My pool 18 round
Hayward EC40 1hp pump
I use a frog system

So I opened up my pool on Sunday as usual my water was crystal clear it always is when I open it I have a very good cover

I usually drop a gallon of liquid bleach in when I open my pool this year I did something different and put a bag of green out in

There was a few leaves in the pool nothing crazy I planned on vacuuming it last night but it started raining last night so I planned on vacuuming tonight

Maybe I should not have tested my water today after some heavy rain at times last night but I did get it tested today at Leslie’s

As expected my ph was a touch low with the rain 6.8
Slightly acidic about 150
Chlorine 4.5

My phosphates were off the chart at 2000ppm

I’ve never had phosphates so high not sure why it’s so high?could it have been a combination of the rain and few stray leaves I usually vacuum immediately after opening my pool but with the rain last night it got pushed to today

Of course Leslie’s immediately tried to sell me chemical’s to bring my phosphates down I know phosphates are food for algae but my water is so crystal clear like glass it always is when I open my pool with the cover I have!.

My question being are the phosphates being this High something I need to worry about.someone suggested vacuuming then draining about 8-10” of water then replacing with fresh water

I’ve read phosphates don’t go away on their own but I really don’t want to add any unnecessary chemicals to my pool with my water looking so clear

I’ve never dealt with high phosphate’s before so I’m kind of scratching my head on how did they get so high the only thing I did differently this year than the past few years was use Green out and have a heavy rainfall almost immediately after opening my pool I can’t see the green out contributing to the high phosphate’s.but that’s literally the only thing I did different adding the green out vs bleach!

I always connected high phosphate to algae but my water is so clear right now

Is the high phosphate level something I need to be concerned about?

I vacuumed the pool tonight honestly there was not a whole lot to vacuum it was fairly clean so I’m not quite sure what spiked my phosphates I did wait a little bit longer to open my pool I usually open it right before Memorial Day but it’s been cool up here in Newyork so I did not want to open the pool and start running the filter unnecessarily spinning my electric meter as it usually does when I start running the filter if it was still too cool to use the pool!

I’m kind of miffed right now hoping it drops on its own probably unlikely but hoping!

Thank-you

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

If you maintain the recommended FC and CYA levels then phosphates are not a concern.

Read…

It's true, if you follow the cya to FC charts on the site phosphates do not matter. I am a belt and suspenders kind pool guy as I have felt the wrath of my FC dipping and had to SLAM my pool. I manage my phosphates dispite following the TFP advice. I use Orenda PR-10000.
I use the maintenance dose 1x month and when I catch phosphates too high use suggest amount and frequency. I ADD MINE BY TRIGGER SRAYER on jet to keep it working and skimming the fallout. not sure it makes a huge difference over pouring in front of jets like MA

Last edited:
It's true, if you follow the cya to FC charts on the site phosphates do not matter. I am a belt and suspenders kind pool guy as I have felt the wrath of my FGC dipping and had to SLAM my pool. I manage my phosphates dispite following the TFP advice. I use Orenda PR-10000.
I use the maintenance dose 1x month and when I catch phosphates too high use suggest amount and frequency. I ADD MINE BY TRIGGER SRAYER on jet to keep it working and skimming the fallout. not sure it makes a huge difference over pouring in front of jets like MA
Before you advise on using a phosphate remover let’s learn what type of filter @JC327 has.

You have a DE filter that can be easily backwashed and maybe drained to WASTE.

With a cartridge filter the phosphate remover can cause problems. And a sand filter may not be much better.

True I do have a DE filter and it can easily be backwashed.I’m just scratching my head to how my phosphates got so high other than opening my pool a little later in the season and using green out instead of bleach I did nothing different.

I guess I’ll just maintain my cya & FC and hope for the best I really don’t want to add phosphate removers if I have to I will as my filter can be easily bakwashed

I’ve never had an algae issue and hate to start now

Thank you

A 2000 level for phosphate is not high. It looks like a big number but phosphates are measured in ppb (billion) not ppm.

Leslie uses that big number to sell a lot of expensive profitable phosphate remover.

That makes more sense now this is actual the first test I ran at Leslie’s I used to go to brothers 3 but the one place near me closed down.

High phosphate has never been pointed out to me before so that makes a lot of sense that the number they gave me is ppm

So I just had my water retested at x2 different pool places with x2 different results Leslie’s is still reading 1042ppb dunrite is at 0 I know I need to bring my ph up and knock my CA down a bit but with the exception of the PH every number is different between the two tests the one glaring # is dunrite reading 0 phosphate but Leslie’s still reading 1042 I have not added any chemicals all I did was drain about 10” last night and refill.Leslie’s is telling me to drain another 12-18 “ and refill I don’t think this is the right move here!

Attachments

• IMG_7267.jpeg
    IMG_7267.jpeg
    506.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7266.jpeg
    IMG_7266.jpeg
    444.8 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am going to invest in my own kit agreed I have the strips I will pick up a liquid test kit to test my water accurately and not rely on a store

This is a perfect example two different stores same day same water x2 different results

“Phosphates” are part of the Pool Store pitch for getting you to buy more stuff you don’t need. Treat your pool using the TFP method and you won’t have to worry about algae or “phosphates”. I’m going on 5 years now with my pool and I’ve never had Algae or Slammed my pool. I couldn’t even tell you what my “phosphates” are. No idea. Really could care less as it’s irrelevant.

Before you advise on using a phosphate remover let’s learn what type of filter @JC327 has.

You have a DE filter that can be easily backwashed and maybe drained to WASTE.

With a cartridge filter the phosphate remover can cause problems. And a sand filter may not be much better.
When my phosphates are bad and I use more than a maintenance dose, I usually have to break down the filter and clean the grids. I assume the cartridge filters would need similar. When it’s a maintenance dose I just back wash and move on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.