High PH, how to solve

May 22, 2017
Moundsville, WV
Im nervous about putting muriatic acid in my pool because Ive never done it before (I do have it though). Is there anything else can I use to lower my pools ph? Its about 8 right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Or, I guess,.. if someone would explain to me how to add the muriatic acid that would be great too! Thanks!!

Hello there!

You should always wear eye protection when handling muriatic acid. You do not want to breathe muriatic acid fumes. If you spill any on your clothes it will cause damage. Muriatic acid may sting a bit if you get it on your skin, but won't normally cause any serious harm as long as you rinse it off right away.

Muriatic acid should be added to the pool by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. You should pour slowly enough that pouring an entire jug takes more than two minutes. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding muriatic acid.

Make sure your face is upwind of the bottle. I like to float the bottle in the water and tip to pour it, this way you are only pouring a couple inches away from the water and it reduces splashing. Muriatic acid is by far the best way to lower pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.