Hi - new pool route owner!

coltrane5000

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Feb 22, 2024
Fort Worth, TX
Hi everyone! My name is Micky and I live in Dallas / Fort Worth, TX region.

I bought my first route (55 pools) and begin route seller's 30-day hands-on training this Monday.

I'm buying more routes until I hit 200 pools with multiple pool techs. I come from business operations and also HR / training. I just have to learn the pool service and repair side!

Been listening to podcasts non-stop, got my CPO, did a few ride-alongs with an IPSSA member, and getting my RAIL in a few weeks.

Look forward to reading your posts and learning!
Micky

Reactions: Newdude
You will find that typical "pool service" companies have policies and "operations" setup for profit and can go against a lot of what this forum advocates for...which is a scientifically supported "self-help" & economical approach for pool owners. When I joined this forum 10 years ago after recently purchasing a home with an in-ground pool, I had inherited a pool service company from the prior owners. While the technicians were nice and helpful, their "service" included throwing a bunch of chemicals in the pool that it didn't need while charging me a hefty price for the privilege. Openings and closing were $500 each. Taking my water down to the pool store for testing also resulted in recommended but unnecessary "solutions" for my water. After spending time on this forum learning all the intricacies of water management, chemistry and pool management, it made me realize that buying my own water test kit and taking care of the equipment and weekly chores wasn't as complicated as I thought it was. As mentioned above, the FC/CYA relationship is critical to understand.

There are many people who don't have the time or inclination to handle their own pool maintenance and those are the ones who will be your customer base. Learn, share your knowledge, earn the respect and trust of your customers and try to give them the best and most cost effective service you can while still allowing your business to thrive. Your approach and treatment of your customers will ultimately determine how successful your company is. In my opinion, life and work is not all about the benjamins. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Last edited:
So the biggest issue is that UV from the sun depletes FC daily. With weekly service the best anyone can do is 'Dump and Pray' that there's any left next week with a weekly shock.

The industry is keen on tabs which slow the release down, but it quickly spikes the CYA levels which then needs more chlorine to sanitize at the same level. All levels on this chart are equal for sanitizing and tabs become unmanageable at 80+ CYA.

lc_chart.jpg

Many people are on their Nth pool service when it's the approach that fails, not the nice kid who shows up once a week.

Using a chlorine dosing system such as a stenner pump or a salt water chlorine generator will be your best bet to set them weekly for the daily loss of that point in the season, and chances are it'll be close enough at the end of the week. Most weeks will be similar to the week before and without any big storms, blowout parties or power/system failures, they'll chug along like they're supposed to.

Best of luck in your new endeavor. Keep us posted. Ooooooh. And please forgive my terrible manners. Welcome to TFP !!!