Hi new pool owner

mcscott

Jun 9, 2023
Milford, CT
Hi all, we bought the house in Dec (16x32 vinyl)and had it opened 5/19. After a week of watching the green get greener, realized the skimmer drain plug wasn’t removed by the crew. So I’ve been banging away, testing, applying chemicals,lather, rinse, partially drained with a trash pump a week ago to get the solids (brushing was bringing up debris leaves worms). This morning, praise be, I had a clear pool. Surprised to discover there isn’t a main drain in the bottom of the deep end, so I’ll be relying on the 🤖 more.

Anyway, keep your head up other newbs, the pool is always greenest before the dawn, or something.
Scott

Attachments

• 70714422962__A3453432-68A0-49C6-A4E1-998D59591895.jpeg
    70714422962__A3453432-68A0-49C6-A4E1-998D59591895.jpeg
    683.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 70795388519__BC0885A2-E4FC-4B1D-B7FB-B32713439F55.jpeg
    70795388519__BC0885A2-E4FC-4B1D-B7FB-B32713439F55.jpeg
    707.1 KB · Views: 19
Good morning Scott and welcome to TFP! :wave: You've made some great progress. :goodjob: If you haven't see it yet, we encourage you to bookmark and review all the articles in our Pool Care Basics page. Tons of great info. In your signature, please be sure to include which test kit you use to test the water. If you have any questions about your pool or water, just let us know.

Have a great weekend. :swim:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hi Scott and welcome.

How are you testing your water? I don't see a test kit in your signature, so please check out Test Kits Compared.

Your pool certainly looks better than it did, but it's definitely not TFP clear yet, so once you have a good test kit, please complete the SLAM Process to get that pool sparkling.

Hi and welcome, you've done well. Read as prescribed and ask as you feel you need. Don't fret over not having a main drain as lots of pools don't have one or have it plugged due to issues relating to it. A good healthy skimmer or two will be just perfect.

Oh , I’ve got the basic test kit with five reagents. Didn’t realize that was a thing. I’ve taken samples to Leslie’s. Before I get the pool store hate, I needed better testing to get to steady state so I was back and forth to Leslie’s.

I also have a chlorinator but I’m not sure how to use it.

Basically the kit below but sans blue box. Just the reagents and the tube thing. The chlorinator is top loading and it says for tabs. Not sure if the guys who opened the pool loaded it with tabs and I couldn’t get the top off.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.png
    IMG_0075.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2337.jpeg
    IMG_2337.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 7
I’ve taken samples to Leslie’s. Before I get the pool store hate, I needed better testing to get to steady state so I was back and forth to Leslie’s.
That’s where some of the pool store hate comes from. Their tests are rarely reliable. Their numbers are all over the place. I personally had them test CYA with a +/- 10 ppm difference over 5 days, when I hadn’t added any stabilizer since open (a month before). They also measured CH and pH wildly. This was at Leslie’s. Then the mom and pops store in my town was a lot closer to the real values, but still wildly different day to day. Their whole goal is to show something being off so they can sell you something. If they don’t sell you something, they are throwing money away on the tests and labor.

Basically the kit below but sans blue box. Just the reagents and the tube thing.
That kit doesn’t include the second most important test: CYA. Or really the first either: FAS-DPD. The TFP method relies heavily on the relationship between FC and CYA. I recommend getting the TF-100 with Smart Stir or the TF-Pro. If you have a SWG, you’ll need the Salt option of either of those.
Test Kits Compared
FC/CYA Levels
FAS-DPD Test

Last edited:
The kit you have is missing some very important tests
Fas/dpd (this measures fc & cc accurately up to 50ppm)
& the cya test.
Your current OTO test only shows Total Chlorine up to 5ppm (fc+cc) & it doesn’t differentiate between the two
Those two tests are vital to performing a successful
SLAM Process otherwise you’re just blindly dumping & praying (this can cost alot of $$, time, & possibly damage surfaces & equipment). The slam requires that you test & replenish the proper amount of liquid chlorine multiple times (3+) per day - using the pool store’s testing doesn’t jive with this method.
The recommended Taylor k2006/k2006(c) (available at various online retailers) & tf100/tfpro (tftestkits.net) contain these very important tests .
You can also buy the fas/dpd & cya tests separately but it costs almost the same as buying a whole kit.
Test Kits Compared
The tabs add cya along with fc (the fc is consumed daily but the cya remains) so they aren’t recommended for daily chlorination. As the cya increases so does the necessary corresponding fc level.
See —-> FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: dBsooner
I don't know anything about how to take the top off the chlorinator, but if I was in your shoes I would figure it out (or find a bigger wrench) and make sure it wasn't loaded up with tabs, driving stabilizer levels into the untenable range.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.