Hi, GeeGaw from deep east Texas

Another question. Since I have only strip test, how could I slam and know I'm staying at fc level needed? And how long do I need to stay at said level!?
Just anticipating when time comes to slam.?

You can't with strips. That's just one of the down-falls of using those. Eventually, you'll want to order a TF-100 kit (w/ speed stir) to make pool life MUCH easier - and accurate. We may have about 1-1.5 more months ahead of us before the water temps start to drop, but you'll definitely want it for next season. Once you get it, you'll wonder how you ever managed without it.

My local Walmart sells a 6-way test kit. While it won't help you with the higher SLAM levels of FC, you would get a more accurate reading for CYA and PH than the test strips. Often our local True Value has it too. They cost around $22.

Hi, PAgirl,
Okie-dokie thank you. I did get a test kit from Ace, but its only 4 way and fc only goes to a 3.
So I wasted my money there. :-(
I had grandkids with me and just didn't pay close enough attention.

Let's start with CYA. It's on the low end of the scale, acceptable, but one the low side. For Texas with brutal heat, you probably want it higher - at least 40 ppm. If you do add stabilizer, ensure you raise your FC a little more to keep-up with it on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart.

You can try to increase your TA a little if you like, but I wouldn't try to go much further. Remember, of the two (pH and TA), we are primarily concerned with pH unless the TA is extremely off. I have personally ran my pool with a TA of 60 for many weeks and pH stayed right where it needed to be. So if you do try to raise TA, only shoot for a little increase and keep an eye on the pH as well.

Overall your numbers look pretty good. Watch that FC! :) Hope that helps.

Thank so much!!
So I do 30 oz cya wait 30 mint, do 7.8oz bleach. ? I'll wait on ta. I did put 24 oz cya by sock ,last Wed. But it did nothing. First time I put it in by broadcasting it. Should I try sock again or broadcast?

Hello Geegaw,

By my calculations for your pool size, you need to only add 7.1 oz of CYA to get you from 30ppm CYA to 40ppm CYA, Not 30 oz? The bleach amount is FINE.

The Cya should always be put in via sock method never just broadcasted. It can take up to a week for it to register so if you put it in last Wed, tomorrow will be a week, but I do generally see mine well before the week is up.

You can add the bleach now, and then wait 30 mins to add the sock with the CYA in front of the return since it takes the CYA a little while to dissolve that way the bleach can be working while the CYA is dissolving :). I hope this helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, the 5300 is what I calculated the amount off of. I went off of what Texas had suggested you go up to, which was "at least 40ppm" from comment #87.

Yes for a SWG the numbers you listed 70-80ppm CYA are exactly correct. (well done on that :) LOL go You!!! But you might not want to go there yet?

Texas who has a lot more experience than I, and also lives in Texas, knows more about the heat there, and where best to run the numbers during the blazing heat to maintain consistently adequate FC levels. By adjusting the CYA higher, you have to adjust the chlorine levels higher too, so the 40ppm CYA will take a lot less chlorine to keep the pool sanitized than one with a CYA of 70 or 80 will. If you get it some higher that's alright too, but it will require more chlorine to be added because of it. (lower number for now means less expense to you). I hope this helps explain which CYA number I was targeting, and why. Have a wonderful night.

Hi again geegaw. Looking at the past couple posts, it made me think .... if your water is clear, and there is no sign of algae or reason to think you may need to SLAM (I don't think there was) then absolutely raise that CYA higher! Re-calculate to raise your CYA to at least 70 for the SWG. I think I got distracted earlier. :hammer: I must've been sniffing muriatic acid. :) Good going geegaw and CJ4u. :salut:

Looking back at your earlier CYA of 30, it would take a total of 28 ounces of stabilizer to go from 30 to 70. So if you only added 10 more so far this afternoon, you can still add another 18 ounces. If you added more stabilizer before than I recognized, then just adjust accordingly. Hope that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support