Here we go with the SLAM ...

So we cleaned the filter. Yep, took it apart and recharged it with new DE powder. FC prior to the recharge was 22. Figured that wasn't too high for the kids to be in so in they went!!! Total of 5 people
swimming for about 2 hours.

I was showing my SIL how to do the FC testing and guess what my FC level was! FC = 26!!!! How did I gain 4ppm 3 hours later after 5 people swimming?! This is boggling my mind!

Obviously, at that FC I didn't add anymore bleach. Actually there was a storm coming, so we covered the pool to call it a night. May get one more reading after the sun goes down ...

A couple things can cause testing error.

If the first test was low, maybe you didn't have enough powder. There should be one or two undissolved granules after you swirl to mix the powder but before you start counting drops. Second, squeezing the bottle because you're in a hurry.

A couple things can cause testing error.

I actually believe it was a difference in the 2 different bottles of R-0871 that I have. When I ordered my kit, I ordered the XL option. Since the extra bottle didn't fit in the kit, I kept it out and decided to use that up first. The test that I did this afternoon that read higher was a result of the R-0871 bottle inside the kit. When I got back home tonight, I tried it again and got FC = 18 for the one and FC = 22 for the other. Blahhhhhhhhh.....

So, I didn't post last night's results because of differing numbers. One test gave me FC = 18, the other said FC = 22. The first bottle of R-0871 is almost empty, so I think I'm going to avoid using that since it seems to be giving me lower readings.

6/15/15
6AM
FC = 21.5
CC = 0

It would appear that I only lost 0.5ppm over night! I don't know if that is the case for certain, so I will do another OCLT tonight.

Sounds like you might have it straightened out. :cheers:

What was the filter pressure after cleaning?

I ordered a test kit yesterday & will be doing the SLAM later this week. I'm having the same problem with low FC. How many gallons of chlorine have you used?

6/15/15 (con't)
2PM
FC = 25.5

730PM
FC = 22
Total loss for the day ** drum roll please ** ONLY 4.5ppm!!!!!

What was the filter pressure after cleaning?

Filter pressure went down to 10 after cleaning. We totally cleaned it, hoping to remove as much old powder as possible.

How many gallons of chlorine have you used?

My husband thinks I used about 30. I do have the ounces written down, so let me calculate ...
I used 5.5 gallons before starting the SLAM process.
The SLAM process to date (6/10/15-6/15/15) ... 21.8 gallons.

Keep in mind though, that my CYA is 50, so my shock FC was anywhere between 20-28. Normally, I tried to keep it around 24. If I knew I wasn't going to make it back home for 5-6 hours, I would take it to 28. That would allow me some leeway so the ppm wouldn't drop below shock FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is awesome, :) You did it...

just keep that fc above 6 and have a great summer, once your fc gets below 10 do all your tests and make sure every thing else is balanced...

6/15/15
9PM
FC = 20

6/16/16
530AM
FC = 20 (YAYYYYYYYY!!!!:lovetfp:)
CC = 0

We passed the OCLT!
Here's to the rest of summer with a trouble-free pool!

:party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party:

:whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot:

Chlorine loss is proportional to the FC level for a given CYA level and the daytime loss is higher at high FC so a 4 ppm FC loss when at SLAM levels is not a problem during the day. At night for an OCLT, one should not have that much loss and should have <= 1 ppm loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.