Here we go with the SLAM ...

I just found your pictures, you have a beauty of a pool, and it looks clear.. I am almost positive you caught a bloom just before it turned green. YAY. keep going.. Your family can swim in the water just under the slam fc, just don't wear new suits as they may get bleached out but that will get you through the weekend.. You are doing great. [emoji1]

I have things figured this way for today:

I am losing about 1ppm+/hr. I took FC to 27 by adding 100oz more of bleach (target SLAM = 20 CYA = 50) with the hope that I can take a longer lunch around 130-2pm to "run" home to test levels and replenish chlorine if necessary.

Hoping this boosts things along! I did calculate FC loss (roughly) per hour for the last 2 days and it is decreasing, so that's a good sign!!!

Its a great sign, your getting it and once your done you will be able to keep it clear :) keep it up, your on the home stretch...

If -- when I re-test the water before work -- the FC is right around 20, do you think I should add more bleach to boost it up a little bit? My concern is: at 20, I don't have much leeway for a decrease in SLAM level until I get home at 5pm. Given a CYA = 50 I didn't know how many ppm I could go over on the SLAM level. Can I take it to 30?

Just saw you question.. You can take it up just under mustard level and that chart is here Chlorine/CYA Chart

You did exactly that by taking it to 24.5, dont go over 30 for your CYA level, we dont want your nice liner to get discolored.. You are understanding it now, if you stay over your shock level it goes faster :)

So here's how numbers have looked for the last 24+ hours:

6/12/15
530AM
FC = 13 CC = 0 Added 242 oz bleach

630AM
FC = 24.5

745AM
FC = 24 Added 100 oz bleach to get to 27 (leaves me leeway to not drop below SLAM before I can check it again)

830AM
FC = 27.5

2PM
FC = 20 Added 197 oz to get me close to 26 - couldn't wait the 1/2 hour to re-test - had to get back to work

7PM
FC = 20 CC = 0 Added 133 oz to get me to 24 for the night

930PM
FC = 24.5 This is a water sample that I grabbed as quickly as I could and from not at the normal spot I grab it from. We had another thunderstorm and I just wanted to grab it and go!!!

6/13/15
6AM
FC = 20.5 CC = 0.5 (maybe? It wasn't even hardly tinted to begin with) Added 242 oz bleach

730AM
FC = 28

11AM
FC = 25 It's currently an over-cast kind of day ...
CYA = 50 I tested this again because I thought maybe it would've gone down a little bit and I wouldn't need to be adding so much bleach!!!!

I have to leave the house again for several hours, thinking I'll add enough bleach to take me to 28 -- PoolMath says 99 oz

QUESTION: Filter gauge is holding at 20 -- should I be thinking about backwashing soon? Will that help speed this process along?????

Thank you for the help and encouraging words I've been given!

6/13/15 (con't)
330PM
FC = 24.5

Still looking for someone to answer these questions ...
QUESTION: Filter gauge is holding at 20 -- should I be thinking about backwashing soon? Will that help speed this process along?????
If the return flow still looks strong, there's no need to backwash. But failed gauges are common. Does yours go back to zero when you shut the pump off?

Your filter actually doesn't backwash, It gets bumped. And when bumping has no more effect, then you clean it.

Return flow still looks good. It's a new gauge this year -- does return to zero when the pump is off.

Your filter actually doesn't backwash, It gets bumped. And when bumping has no more effect, then you clean it.

The pool installer/pool store owner (same person) calls it "backwashing" -- I'm too new/naïve to this pool stuff to know the difference.

then you clean it.

Cleaning involves removing the old DE powder via a backwash hose and adding new via the skimmer? The last time we did it, we pulled the whole filter apart to rinse out the inside and all. Is that necessary?

Return flow still looks good. It's a new gauge this year -- does return to zero when the pump is off.

The pool installer/pool store owner (same person) calls it "backwashing" -- I'm too new/naïve to this pool stuff to know the difference.

Cleaning involves removing the old DE powder via a backwash hose and adding new via the skimmer? The last time we did it, we pulled the whole filter apart to rinse out the inside and all. Is that necessary?
You don't run water backwards through the filter the way conventional DE filters backwash. You bump it off the fingers and drain the tank. It's in the manual.

REGENERATION (Extending the Cycle)
Stop the pump. Move the bump handle down slowly, then up
briskly. Repeat 3 times. Restart the pump and filtration will
resume at near the original flow and pressure.
After each regeneration, and until the filter is cleaned, there
may be a slight increase in the starting pressure. This is the
result of dirt accumulating within the filter and is completely
normal.
CLEANING
Cleaning is recommended when the gauge pressure rises
more than 10 psi (.70 Bar) in less than a 24 hour period or
when cloudy water returns to the pool for more than 30
seconds after regeneration. To clean, first stop the pump;
then move the bump handle down slowly, then up briskly.
Repeat 8 times. Open the vent valve (under bump cover),
open the filter drain (Note: if the filter is installed below the
pool water line, close the suction and return valves) and
allow water and-dirt-to-empty completely.
After the filter has drained, and with the drain still open, run
the pump for a few seconds to flush out any dirt remaining in
the bottom of the filter. (Note: If the filter is installed below the
pool water line, opening the suction valve for a few seconds
with the pump off will adequately flush the unit.)
Close the filter drain and the vent valve. Open the suction
and return valves (when used). Start the pump and let the
filter fill with water and repeat the CLEANING procedure. This
completes the cleaning phase. The filter is now ready for
recharging. Proceed as in STARTING THE FILTER and
PRECOATING.​

6/13/15 (con't)
330PM
FC = 24.5

430PM
Added 133oz bleach to take me to 28 per PoolMath

530PM
FC = 25.5
What????????????

I'm getting frustrated. I've been at this for 3 days -- I know, I know, sometimes this can take a long time. But my pool water is clear! I've used 5 gallons of bleach in just 24 hours. If I felt like I was making progress, maybe I'd feel differently...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
430PM
Added 133oz bleach to take me to 28 per PoolMath

530PM
FC = 25.5
What????????????

I'm getting frustrated. I've been at this for 3 days -- I know, I know, sometimes this can take a long time. But my pool water is clear! I've used 5 gallons of bleach in just 24 hours. If I felt like I was making progress, maybe I'd feel differently...
Did you just brush and possibly expose some more algae that is being killed? Have a bunch of leaves blown in? They'll use up chlorine, too. What's the CC? Did you ever pull the ladder and scrub it off? Algae can grow a slimy skin that protects it from chlorine. Others who have struggled have discovered that there is algae inside the ladder uprights. Is this a recently purchased bottle of bleach that could be older than the others you've been using and so isn't full strength anymore?

Any of these is possible.

Did you just brush and possibly expose some more algae that is being killed? Have a bunch of leaves blown in? They'll use up chlorine, too. What's the CC? Did you ever pull the ladder and scrub it off? Algae can grow a slimy skin that protects it from chlorine. Others who have struggled have discovered that there is algae inside the ladder uprights. Is this a recently purchased bottle of bleach that could be older than the others you've been using and so isn't full strength anymore?

No recent brushing. Cleaned out leaves this AM. CC = 0 at 730PM. Never pulled the ladder, felt the underside of the steps, nothing slimy to the touch (will have to get hubby to pull it up) Not sure how to read the date codes on the bottles of bleach, but the code all starts with "15" - maybe the year?

6/13/15 (con't)
730PM FC = 26
CC = 0
CYA = 50

I'll check it one more time after the sun goes down. I like to have that last reading to get an accurate comparison for the morning.

OH, I almost forgot ...

Richard320 if you're still following, I bumped (regenerated) the filter and the water that subsequently came out of the return was white and cloudy. I feel like my water is now not so crystal clear. What does that mean?

No recent brushing. Cleaned out leaves this AM. CC = 0 at 730PM. Never pulled the ladder, felt the underside of the steps, nothing slimy to the touch (will have to get hubby to pull it up) Not sure how to read the date codes on the bottles of bleach, but the code all starts with "15" - maybe the year?

6/13/15 (con't)
730PM FC = 26
CC = 0
CYA = 50

I'll check it one more time after the sun goes down. I like to have that last reading to get an accurate comparison for the morning.

OH, I almost forgot ...

Richard320 if you're still following, I bumped (regenerated) the filter and the water that subsequently came out of the return was white and cloudy. I feel like my water is now not so crystal clear. What does that mean?
I think that's normal. In that part I copied from the manual, it says cleaning is due "... or when cloudy water returns to the pool for more than 30
seconds after regeneration." Sounds like they expect it to do that a little bit every time.

I'd clean the filter. Take it apart & hose off all the old DE. My pressure is usually less than 10.
Ours was at 10 for a little while, it's gradually creeped up to 20. Our last cleaning was on 5/28 where my husband took it all apart and cleaned it, so it's gone from 10 to 20 over the course of 3 weeks.

6/14/15 (con't)
7AM
FC = 29

Ours was at 10 for a little while, it's gradually creeped up to 20. Our last cleaning was on 5/28 where my husband took it all apart and cleaned it, so it's gone from 10 to 20 over the course of 3 weeks.

6/14/15 (con't)
7AM
FC = 29

It shouldn't need cleaning after just a couple weeks but the pressure sure seems high. I believe you said Phos Free was added since the last filter cleaning. That can tend to clog up the filter. In ground pools also get more than their fair share of dead insects in the water & filter. This could be contributing to your chorine loss. What brand/type of earth are you using?

6/14/15 (con't)
7AM
FC = 29

Im back, sorry I was gone so long :) Thanks everyone for helping...

You are doing awesome... Your getting so close...

Ok, filter: If your filter started out at 10 or 11 psi you need to clean it out real good, DE is the best filter but also the worst for SLAM because it cleans so well and will require more cleaning... That could very well be where your greenies are at and using your chlorine.. the rule is when your filter climbs 25% you need to bump it, so at 15 psi.. if it does not drop below 15 psi then you need to clean and add new DE...

you know losing 3 fc is way better than when you started :)

6/14/15 (con't)
2PM
FC = 22 (down 7ppm since 7AM)

I believe you said Phos Free was added since the last filter cleaning.
Phos Free was prior to the last DE filter cleaning.

the rule is when your filter climbs 25% you need to bump it, so at 15 psi.. if it does not drop below 15 psi then you need to clean and add new DE...
Good to know that tidbit -- I'll keep that in mind for the future. Right now we are going to at least dump the DE, pull the ladder (although I don't think there's any creepies there) as precaution. Hopefully we get somewhere ... SOOOOON! This is going to be a busy week, so best case for pool time is today. Maybe the kids will stir up whatever is going on in there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.