Here we go in New Braunfels, TX!

Are you saving any of the bigger rocks to make fire ring or sitting area or as accents around the yard?

Kim

Good question/suggestion but NO! :) If you look at the hill above the pool you see some rocks - there's more where those come from we have PLENTY of big rocks up there and that'll be the kid's job to gather up and we'll figure out something to do with them!

For your cable line I would suggest after they fix it have your builder put down some plywood where the cable is so the weight of the tractor is distributed better and not cutting into your cable line. The funny thing with my build is the entire time they were running tractors our cable stayed online but you know when it finally went out? When they put down new sod. Go Figure!

That's a good idea and I would do that but actually the cable guy recommended unplugging it when they roll across it and then temporarily extended the cable for us to do just that. They're saying they'll be done with the dig tomorrow so hopefully we won't have another outage!

Was away for spring break with the kids but not much has changed in terms that you can see. They're still working on the rebar but here are a few pictures from today.

jC7szLD.jpg

AQaVfATr.jpg

2rpKOg7.jpg

qHXVjuN.jpg

Ok, it's been a while but it's been busy here so apologies on the late update! Seems like they poured the gunite then the rains came and nothing could get done! We were supposed to get the boulders installed 2 weeks ago but the crane couldn't make it through the mud so it was a waiting game (not fun just watching the grass grow!). Anyway, "crane day" as we called it was pretty exciting - it's good to see this thing finally coming together!

vxbTY9n.jpg

BhAhofx.jpg

rEV8PS8.jpg

NZuYGcd.jpg

uH7LYE2.jpg

H5GCMhx.jpg

HAHA, yes! I forgot to mention how blown away we are by the process. These boulders are amazing and have so many nice details on them - the PB owner was here all day the day they set them and he said these are some of the best boulders he's seen in a while (who knows, maybe blowing smoke but he seemed genuine). We modeled our pool from his (LOTS of natural rock) and he said there wasn't as good a selection when he built his pool.

Can't wait to see how this takes shape - I can't really picture it now but he said with smaller rocks they'll bring everything together. I'm sure they will - here's a picture of the owner's pool.

9580969.jpg

I'm sure he does get excited about good rocks. I would too if it were my job. That seems like a good sign. Your project reminds me of some of the episodes of this show...(which is pretty good). http://lucaslagoons.com/insane-pools-tv-series/

Everyone on his team has nickname, his mom is called Woman. The old man is called, wait for it, Old Man.

Love your vision.

HAHA, no jetpack here (although that sounds fun)! My DW got me one of those quadcopter "drones" that records video :)

- - - Updated - - -

They're digging more today - lots of excitement here! BTW, while they're here we'd like to ask them for other work in the backyard like leveling out a spot for the trampoline up the hill a ways. What's the accepted form of asking for these 'extras' straight from the subs? Just walk out with a 12 pack of beer and ask? How did you guys do it?

What kind of drone did you get? I've been looking into them and overwhelmed on where to start.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What kind of drone did you get? I've been looking into them and overwhelmed on where to start.

It's the DJI Phantom Advanced which is a little pricey but I liked the features it had. For 'entry level' but still a lot of good features you should check out the DJI Phantom 3 (a little more than half the price).

I'm sure he does get excited about good rocks. I would too if it were my job. That seems like a good sign. Your project reminds me of some of the episodes of this show...(which is pretty good). http://lucaslagoons.com/insane-pools-tv-series/

Wow! I wish I knew about that show before we started! Thanks for the link - I think we got just about everything we wanted but this guy knows his natural pools! (actually maybe I shouldn't watch right now - might get me into trouble!) :deal:

They started coping today!

0CG4pyI.jpg

Wow...this is going to one awesome pool! Can't wait to see it finished.

Everyone on his team has nickname, his mom is called Woman. The old man is called, wait for it, Old Man.

Love your vision.

HA! Been watching episodes of those on my Apple TV to hold me over wile waiting on mine to be finished. I cringe every time they just toss the bare hose into the unfilled pool to start filling. They do impressive stuff though.

Well I guess every construction thread has to have an "ordeal" and this is mine... I have a lot of cedar in the backyard and here in TX cedar is like weeds - you just want to get rid of it. Especially if it is growing around the wonderful Live Oak because the cedar sucks up all the water and the Live Oak is stunted.

So, in preparation for the pool and getting landscaping ready I hired a landscaper to cut back some of the large cedars that were growing around the Oaks by the pool. I have a chainsaw and know how to use it but I didn't want to do it myself because I didn't think I could keep the limbs from hitting the boulders that were just set - so I hired a "professional". Have you figured out the rest of the story? I got home from taking my son to get a haircut and met the landscaper in my driveway - he looked upset and said "I have to show you something". It didn't hit me as we walked from the driveway to the pool what the "something" was until I saw the top shelf missing a boulder. I have to tell you I almost fell to my knees in shock and disbelief at what I saw:

This is the form they placed for the waterfall/jumping rock broken in two:
v98ypZB.jpg

Here is the AMAZING boulder on the right side of the grotto/cave smashed on the pool floor:
OAITGkI.jpg

Overall view of the carnage:
TdHDXMG.jpg

The landscaper was pale and couldn't stop saying how sorry he was and that he would pay for it. My PB was understanding and almost therapeutical in their response with "Don't worry, we'll fix it". The PB owner who so loved the boulders he picked out already was apparently already at the stone shop today picking out another boulder to replace the one lost. THANK GOD I went with this PB and I will shout their names from the hilltops if they can figure out how to fix this problem and stay on schedule. I'm past the anguish now and just want to stay on schedule to enjoy this pool this summer. It was 90+ degrees today and would have been nice to jump on in!

OUCH! I bet he was shaking! Those are THE two that HAD to be the SAME for the jumping rock AND he broke the jumping rock! :taped: To keep me from saying what I want to say.......

That guy has no idea how much that is going to cost! The crane fee alone will crush him!

Bet he will never be allowed back to your yard again!

WOW on your PB and Owner! "We go this" while inside gurrrrrrrrrrrr I am sure!

I am guessing the smaller rocks will be "glued" down and what holds the bigger ones in????

Kim:cat:

Wow! [emoji37] That just stinks all the way around for everyone. So glad your PB was able to roll with the punches on it and move so fast to pick a new boulder though! That's impressive.

At least the landscaper stuck around to show you and tried to own the mistake. I think these days many would have just taken off and left it to be totally your problem.

I really believe everything for a reason. Maybe the new boulder will be even more amazing?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, tough break for the landscaper. Good for the PB's attitude. Mind you, he's getting paid to redo the job. So glad you can see past the carnage thanks to people who are able to deal with the inevitable ordeal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.